Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs/eyfsp

hy guys

im in a bit of a muddle.

having been a childminder for a while i have been working in line with the eyfs. all my obs/planning would be done to the eyfs under the 6 areas of learning. however, i have just started a new job in a nursery (preschool room) and been told thati have to work towards the eyfsp. as i understand it this is only an assessment done at the end of reception year and i should still be using eyfs....dont want to look stupid on my firt week so any help would be appreciated. also i have never used an eyfsp nor understand how to work towards it xxx

I agree with your understanding. However on a recent training course with teachers I realised that some of them used the eyfsp in the nursery too, I assume to save having to use two forms of tracking across the two classes. The trainer said she thought it wasn't appropriate but I guess it will come down to what the senior staff in the school want to happen.

thanks holly. this isnt a school it is a private day nursery. i dont really feel comfortable bringing it up with staff as its my first week and my room leader has been there 7 yrs!!! would ofsted accept obs to the eyfsp or not? and having not had a proper look at a profile as suce does it link up with development matters of the eyfs??? i might sound picky but it will niggle away at me if i have to do it this way and know it is wrong!

I don't know too much about the actual details of the eyfsp so I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable will be along soon. All I can say is in our LA PVI settings are always told not to use it and the trainers at the training sessions I've been on even out of area have stressed it's not really for nursery even in maintained sector.

Like you say in your first week is difficult to bring it up but maybe when you have been there a while you could suggest something else!

I am a Reception teacher and I don't use the eyfsp for planning. In theory all early years settings should use the Development Matters statements to work from where the children are, then Reception teachers only assess against points on the eyfsp. You are in a really difficult position though having just started a new job. Could you sort of play 'dumb' and say you thought it was meant to be the eyfs but maybe you're wrong? Do you have anyon from the Local Authority who comes in to support to the setting? I wonder if they have picked it up. Good luck!

Kathryn

Hi Jolene, ypu are quite right, the EYFSP is to be completed at the end of the reception year. A number of maintained nurseries in some LAs are using it (but shouldn't really be) to provide that tracking/value added many schools/OFSTED are so keen on. I would certainly not be recommending any settings to be using it in preschool.

I would bring it up, perhaps casually, after looking at their learning diaries and comment on it.

Yup - I'm with Mundia. The most I tolerate (where I'm allowed an opinion!!) in my supported schools is at the transition into reception point and then I really emphasise it is the first 3 points i would want to be considered as these are pre ELGs, unless a child is actually working securely in the 40 - 60+ DM but this would be the exception not the norm generally AND it should be moderated judgments AND it needs to be with the same rigour and range expected for the end of FS judgments.

Cx

sorry to jump in but just wanted to mention that the eyfs profile should be imputed termly by reception teachers, and not the end of the year which many people believe. If you get to the end of the year and realise there are big gaps in childrens learning/certain profile points then what can be done??? Nothing as its too late! However if reception teachers enter the data termly then you have a good chance of offering more opportunities or looking at your own teaching in order to rectify.

Yup - I'm with Mundia. The most I tolerate (where I'm allowed an opinion!!) in my supported schools is at the transition into reception point and then I really emphasise it is the first 3 points i would want to be considered as these are pre ELGs, unless a child is actually working securely in the 40 - 60+ DM but this would be the exception not the norm generally AND it should be moderated judgments AND it needs to be with the same rigour and range expected for the end of FS judgments.

Cx

Hi Catma. Hope to clarify someting.I am in a maintained school nursery and use the DM's. When doing a summative assessment at end of each term, if child is secure within 30-50 months, I am assessing them as having achieved the first statement on FSP. So some might have this by now in spring term. At end of year, the more able might have the second statement in some areas and be working towards statement 3. Are you advising that this is not good practice and we should only give them FSP statements just before reception, even though I feel they hasve achieved them earlier? I don't plan from FSP statements, just assess against them. Very interested in your reply as have just called a multi setting meeting to discuss this issue.

So Catma you would have been surprised as I was when a special school that a child who has a dual placement in uses the EYFSP as it's assessment tool in the Nursery!!!

S

I would groan into my tea cup and sink my head onto my desk. But I wouldn't be too surprised!!!!

sorry to jump in but just wanted to mention that the eyfs profile should be imputed termly by reception teachers, and not the end of the year which many people believe. If you get to the end of the year and realise there are big gaps in childrens learning/certain profile points then what can be done??? Nothing as its too late! However if reception teachers enter the data termly then you have a good chance of offering more opportunities or looking at your own teaching in order to rectify.

Coco, you're right - many people will update their summative judgements throughout the year but statutorily the EYFSP only has to be completed at the end of Reception:

"In the final term of the EYFS, practitioners must complete a profile summary score, based on the 13 assessment scales, for each child. Profile judgements are made on the basis of cumulative observational evidence recorded over the course of the year." ARA 2010 (QCDA)

I've also noted this useful reminder in the updated eProfile handbook for those updating their profiles during the year as a progress tool:

"It should be remembered that in-year assessments should be viewed against the wider EYFS framework and Progress Matters guidance and only finalised judgements at the end of the year can be considered as EYFS profile outcomes. Clarity about this distinction will ensure that analysis of the data does not lead to erroneous conclusions and inappropriate interpretation." (DCSF)

Cx

Dont know what other posts said as it is late and i really should be in bed but We in pre-schools, nursries do not use the profile they are ment for reception schools and i personally would not get bogged down with it

Dont know what other posts said as it is late and i really should be in bed but We in pre-schools, nursries do not use the profile they are ment for reception schools and i personally would not get bogged down with it

That depends where in the country you are Suer - we in pre-schools fill in the profile for the majority of our children for one or two terms at least before they go to school.

Maz

• 4 weeks later...

well i have tried to bring this up a few times now but my room leader still insists on using it! hopefullt the next course she is due on may help x

Maz, I am guessing that these are children who are in 'reception year' rather than 'preschool year'?

Sorry mundia I had missed this.

Err. Maybe I'm being dense, and not for the first time. What's the difference between 'reception' and 'preschool' year? Children can spend all or some of their reception year in our pre-school, so we might fill out one, two or three terms of the Profile before they go into year one. Alternatively we might not fill in any of their profile because they'll get a whole year in reception.

Maz

Hi Maz. The reception 'year' is the year in which the children will turn 5, and therefore the year of the EYFSP. For many LAs the whole of this year will be spent in a reception class and so the domain of the EYFSP has been mostly on reception teachers.

Obviously in your and other similar LAs which have 2 or 3 entry points to reception, you may start the profile whilst they are with you.

I think the origianl question was referring to starting the profile before this time, ie when the children were in the year following their 3rd birthday, which I would call the 'preschool' or 'nursery' year. The profile is not meant to be used during this time.

Sorry for the confusion, I hope that makes sense now.

I hope that makes sense now.

Ah yes I see - makes perfect sense now. As others have said, we don't use the Profile until we absolutely have to! So definitely reception and not pre-school year!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)