Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Classes In Schools And The 15 Hr Provision

Our local school has just announced that they will be delivering the 15 hr provision from Sept by only offering 2 full days plus one half day session, ie a full time place for 5 days a week will be split between 2 children. This has caused real umbridge with many parents locally, and I just wanted a quick straw poll to know if your local schools are offering

EITHER A) 2 full days plus one half day (i.e 2 x 6.25 hrs plus 2.5 hrs)

OR B ) 5 mornings plus one afternoon/ or 5 afternoons plus 1 morning (6 x 2.5 hrs)

Or C) 3 hr am sessions or 3 hr pm sessions( to include a lunch) (5 x 3 hrs)

or D) anything else

As I have been elected to the LEA Schools Forum , I would love to feedback on the decisions made by other LEA's/Schools

Many many thanks

Edited by Steve

Our local school has just announced that they will be delivering the 15 hr provision from Sept by only offering 2 full days plus one half day session, ie a full time place for 5 days a week will be split between 2 children. This has caused real umbridge with many parents locally, and I just wanted a quick straw poll to know if your local schools are offering

EITHER A) 2 full days plus one half day (i.e 2 x 6.25 hrs plus 2.5 hrs)

OR B ) 5 mornings plus one afternoon/ or 5 afternoons plus 1 morning (6 x 2.5 hrs)

Or C) 3 hr am sessions or 3 hr pm sessions( to include a lunch) (5 x 3 hrs)

or D) anything else

As I have been elected to the LEA Schools Forum , I would love to feedback on the decisions made by other LEA's/Schools

Many many thanks

D) - 3hour sessions to be taken in any combination parents want so they can opt for all mornings or all afternoons or 3 mornings and 2 afternoons or 2 and a half days or 1 full day and 3x3hours or any other combination you can imagine (but they must stay with that selection for a full term and can only change if there are sessions available)

We are a committee run Preschool but working in partnership with a school to form a partnership foundation stage unit. All Reception children are full time, but our preschool children from September will be able to do 1 session each day at 3 hours, either a morning 9-12 or an afternoon 12.15-3.15 (bringing packed lunch with them). We are not offering all day care, but still sticking with being a sessional provider.

Clare

We have been doing 15hrs, but have also been able to offer full time to 20 children.

6 children are part time in the mornings they do 9-12 bringing their packed lunch with them. we have 5 part time in the afternoon, they can come FROM 12.15 but have to be in by 12.45 and they have their lunch before they come.

All the children finish at 3.15.

This will be the same for next year as we have similar numbers.

We have been offering 15hrs for some time now. Children still attend either morning or afternoon sessions as previously.

The only difference being an earlier start/finish time to incorporate the 3hr session. 8-30am till 11-30am and 12-15pm till 3-15pm.

We have tried to stay as close to the normal school day so parents with older children do not have to come to school twice.

Our nursery teacher only works the 'normal' school day and we support staff (nursery nurse and TA) cover the extra time.

We have 15 mins prep time and half an hour for lunch between the morning and afternoon session.

We do not provide lunch as this would be a nightmare to organise and cover!

P.S. We only get half an hour lunch to boost our hours. We would have lost a great deal of money when job evaluation/single status came in. That's another story!!

Hi,

we sent a letter out to parents asking what they would prefer.

1) 5 morning sessions

2) 5 afternoon sessions

3) mon, tues, full days and half day weds

4) weds half day, thurs and friday full days.

This would start at 8.45am and finish at 3.15pm for the full day sessions.

For the full days this would include lunch, and a sleep for the children.

How we are going to do this we dont know yet, but it as not been finalised, it may require extra staffing to cover for lunches etc.

It would mean that we would have to change activites for the afternoon so that the children dont get the same activities if they were staying for the full day. We have also said it is going to be a rush fitting a sleep in as the children staying full days, as children will be turning up for just the afternoon session.

Hope this is some help x

xD:o

Our school setting offers

3 hours am (no lunch) 8.45- 11.45

3 hours pm (no lunch) 12.30- 3.30

2.5 full days (M,TU, Wed am/ Wed pm, Th, Fri) 8.45-3.30

Its manic and extra work but we do love having the kids longer.

We employ a dinner lady who comes to do a general clean of toilets and tables etc from 11am who then takes the children for packed lunches at 11.45.

We have 4 members of staff in session of which 2 go for lunch at 11.30 till 12.30 and the other 2 go 12-1.

Vicky

My school offers either:

5 mornings, 9 till 12

5 afternoons 12.45 to 3.45.

This means that the nursery teacher works an extra half hour a day. We don't offer a lunch session at all, children must have that at home.

We employ a dinner lady who comes to do a general clean of toilets and tables etc from 11am who then takes the children for packed lunches at 11.45.

Where do they have their lunch, Vicky?

Maz

We now do 8-30 till 11-30 and 12-30 to 3-30 only offering 5 mornings or 5 afternoon sessions. As the nursery teacher I now teach longer than anyone else in school which I think is just hard luck. The advice from the ATL on this is to ask the Head for a break down of my 1265 hours.

We now do 8-30 till 11-30 and 12-30 to 3-30 only offering 5 mornings or 5 afternoon sessions. As the nursery teacher I now teach longer than anyone else in school which I think is just hard luck. The advice from the ATL on this is to ask the Head for a break down of my 1265 hours.

We changed the hours for reception as we are a unit and didn't want different starting times and for KS1 (effectively by opening the door and letting children in when nursery started ) so we are now in a situation where FS and KS1 children/staff work longer days than KS2

Steve is there anyway this thread could stay on the leader board so that we can update it with new ideas, queries, concerns, suggestions etc. I just think this topic is so relevant at the moment with so many of us trying desperately to come up with ways around this in our school nurseries (I've just come out of a really hard meeting with our head and bursor re the issue) and I know I find it very helpful to log on to the forum to find out how everyon else is fairing.

By having this on the home page then it is more likely to attract more ideas and possible solutions to this extremely challenging problem that so many of us face- what do you think? Any chance of it appearing for a while on the front page?

pretty please with sugar on the top :o

Hi apple,

Steve is away at the moment so won't be able to reply. However, every time someone replies to a thread it appears on the home page under the last 20 posts section. Obviously if others are interested in the topic as well and replying regularly then it will automatically keep it 'bumped' up. :o