Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders

HappyMaz

I'm just reading the report on the Single Funding Formula from the Children, Schools and Families Committee. A sentence caught my eye and I wondered what you all think...

'we record our misgivings about the rather functional term “childminder”, which does little to recognise the caring relationships which often exist between the adult and the child.'

Good to see childminders being given some credit by our parliamentary representatives, don't you think?

Maz

However maybe a more effective way to recognise childminders would be to give us access to the graduate leader funding?

You're pushing on an open door here, Upsy Daisy. I haven't finished reading it yet, so perhaps they'll recommend that very thing!

Maz

I quite agree.

However maybe a more effective way to recognise childminders would be to give us access to the graduate leader funding?

I AM receiving Graduate Leader Funding, Upsy Daisy (I'm in my 2nd year of my FD). the audit forms are just being checked to see how I've spent the money and I'll then re-apply for funding for my 3rd year. The LA have been really supportive of me!

I've just filled in a form about my qualification requirements for 2010-2013, saying I'd like to go on and do my BA(Hons) "Funding will be prioritised to those who provide this information"

and, yes, it is lovely to see our parliamentary reps giving childminders some credit!! :o

Nona

How interesting, Nona. Do you receive funding just for fees or for cover and books etc?

Everything!!!! xD

Initially applications for GLF were issued to pre-schools, nurseries and day care first and childminders could then apply for whatever funding was left (fairly typical, I'm sure you'll agree!)

In my first year I received an initial payment which covered my Uni fees (£1500) but I was then tipped off that there were still funds available towards the end of the financial year. I re-applied and was given (£600) enough to buy a laptop, printer/copier/scanner and wireless internet connection!

In year 2, funding was issued in 2 payments, totalling £3000. This covered my tuition fees, books, stationery, travel and I was told I could use some to offset the drop in income for the days I'm in Uni and not earning. If I was in a setting, they could claim cover and pay me study time!

Don't know how much I'll receive this year - I'm keeping my fingers crossed :o

Nona

Well that's very interesting!

I was assured by my local EYCS that the rules stated the they could not give this sort of funding to childminders and that they had tried to challenge the decision on my behalf but the ruling came from central government and could not be changed.

I feel a phone call coming on.

Would you feel comfortable with sending me a pm with details of which office you have had the funding from?

I was assured by my local EYCS that the rules stated the they could not give this sort of funding to childminders and that they had tried to challenge the decision on my behalf but the ruling came from central government and could not be changed.

Would you feel comfortable with sending me a pm with details of which office you have had the funding from?

Either someone doesn't understand or is being deliberately untruthful... I was always under the impression that LAs could set their own criteria (within certain parameters), so its interesting to hear that some Childminders are getting GLF. Not sure if anyone in our area is!

nona - do you know if you'll get the supplement when you achieve EYPS?

Maz

nona - do you know if you'll get the supplement when you achieve EYPS?

Maz

:o i don't know! I'm waiting for a call back from the LA in relation to Upsy Daisy's situation (we're in neighbouring authorities!) so I'll ask then.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)