Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics

:o

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help?

I work within a pre-school environment and try my best to keep in touch with the local schools regarding teaching methods.

We used to work with "Letterland", but was told that that had been stopped due to OFSTED not liking "Naughty Nick".

We have been using "Jolly Phonics" which is used by alot of the local schools, however a new school is due to open in Sept 2005 and on speaking to a few of the governers they have said that a new phonics system is being trialled - they say that they think it is called "Thrash or Crash or something like that??".

Apparently it incorporates both phonetics and the old alphabet.

Has anyone else heard of it?? What is it really called?? Where can I get more info??

Thanks for looking.

Winkie.

Have a look at Ruth Miskin. We don't follow her scheme as such but I have found her alphabet cards really good and she has also published some early phonic readers which we are buying to supplement our book bands. just type her name into google.

( don't let the fact that she was married to chris woodhead put you off)

When phonics bite back...

With apologies if 'rude words' offend, I couldn't resist passing this on from Friday's TES:-

Infant child to teacher: "Miss, John said the 'R' word!"

Teacher (puzzled) "Which 'R' word is that?"

Child "Arse!"

Oh how we laughed...

Maz

I am very interested in phonics - and there has over the last couple of years been a lot of debate - http://see www.rrf.org.uk

I know a school that trialled THRASS but it was scrapped. They now use Jolly Phonics.

Whilst phonics are vital for reading development however I think that children need to understand the bigger picture also, that is WHY they are doing phonics and developing as emmergent readers (good quality texts) and emmergent writers (writing for purposes - role play, labels etc)

I asked if I could change to use Jolly Phonics this year. We have ben using it i conjunction with other things we like to do, but the children's writing and phonic work this year is far better than this year. Even the children that aren't writing yet know all their sounds and can LSL.

Some of the eemergent writing that has come from using JF this year has been awesome... you can see them doing all the little ditties to remeber the sounds as they are writing.

BTW, I'm not a JF rep - just a very impressed convert :o

On the Hamiliton Tust website there is a good basic programme for introducing short sharp 15 min daily sessions which incoperates the actions from jolly phonics. Look under literacy and then code breakers. Its planned out for each term and the planning is already done for you.

I've used this alongside playing with sounds. The children love the session especially because it involves a puppet.

Yes, Code-Breakers has similar actions to those of Jolly Phonics, but not all. Also, they follow a different sequence as well as doing initial-end-middle sounds instead of first to last (through all the word) which is easier for the children to learn to blend from the beginning. I used Code-Breakers last year, but we got the JP Starter Kit this past January.

Next year I will start with the first 3 weeks of Code-Breakers and at the same time work around pre-writing skills. I will do the sound recognitions not first-last-middle... but instead first-middle-last. Then I will start with JP in October.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)