Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Well Whats Going On!

Hi Just needed a chat,

Some of you may know im due to take over as leader in September and we have started the handover process, 2 weeks ago a member of staff handed in her resignation, wanting to leave at easter, so we are busy going through recruitment process, well today another member of staff handed in her notice! two i 1 half term, :o

So im feeling kind of paranoid now that they have issues with me.. i know im probadly been daft and its a long time till September but it's just made me think...

I said in jest to current leader 'i'm doing well they're all leaving and i haven't even started yet, should i take it personally' and she just said 'well you know, it was sort of expected.'

What on earth does that mean! I have been mentioning a few changes i want to make, like the planning needs addressing and then theres the issue of unqualified staff (thats come from the committee though not me) Arrgg sorry for little moan and now ive written it down feel very silly...

Its not at all silly, and as the paranoia queen I know just what you mean.

I've been in both situations - have left when a new person was about to take over as supervisor (because this effectively put a cap on my own career enhancement prospects) and have had staff members leave when I took over as supervisor.

You have to accept that people do things for their own reasons, and there could be many things that have led people to resign. It may be that they have been thinking about it for a while, and feel that now is a good time when lots of changes are going to happen anyway. They may have had aspirations to lead the group, and are looking for a leadership position elsewhere. It may also be that one resignation sparks off a colleague to think about their own position.

So I wouldn't worry about it - just take this opportunity to build the kind of team you need so that you can help your group improve and grow and develop!

Maz

I agree with Maz, dont let them bother you. This is an exciting time for you, you have plans and I bet you're itching to get started, so dont let it worry you, people will do what they want. Do you have exit interviews?

I agree with Maz, dont let them bother you. This is an exciting time for you, you have plans and I bet you're itching to get started, so dont let it worry you, people will do what they want. Do you have exit interviews?

Thanks to you both,no we dont do exit interviews, but the first person the give notice is my job share and she rand me to tell me her intention, before the leader, she feels that with me being promoted she would have to do more hours and tried to leave once before last year and reluctantly stayed to do relief, when another member of staff leaft last summer due to ill health, she ended up coming back, but does feel she was pressured into it... and say's nows the time to go..she says small children scare her xD

Im going to be on the interview panel, the current leader say's i should have a say because i will be the one working mostly with them and not her!

however i do wonder what Ofsted are going to make to all these changes in such a short space of time???? :o

however i do wonder what Ofsted are going to make to all these changes in such a short space of time???? :o

At the risk of bringing the wrath of Mrs O down upon my head, they didn't come anywhere near me and I seemed to be waving goodbye to employees hand over fist at one point! If you're worried, why not have a word with your early years team for a bit of reassurance?

Maz

In a way I would think of it as a positive thing.

you will not have the reluctance of staff to change as they have 'always done it that way'. you will be able to put new things and changes in place so much easier..

as to Ofsted.. they only need to be told of change in person in day to day charge and committee.. rest of staff you have to ensure they are fit for the job and record it all for them to check on an inspection, but that is all.. they don't even know...

Inge

Hi Inge,

Thanks for that, I was led to belive that we had to notify Ofsted of every change of staff, or thats what the current leader thinks anyway... I know we have to tell them when she officially steps down.

One other good thing to come out of it too, which i forgot to mention is the 2nd member of staff is unqualified, and was due to start L3 in Sept so thats a big staffing issue out of the way, I'm feeling alot more positive this morning after a good nights sleep.

Thanks again.

Edited by mk5698

Make sure you record this in your SEF as a challenge you've had to face, but also an opportunity to get good new staff. This is a good chance to make sure the whole recruitment thing is running smoothly, do pull in your EYA if they are good, ours has sat in on interviews to make sure we are doing them right.

We are also recruiting at the moment and finding it quite hard to find someone, it's weird you would think with the state of the economy there would be more people looking for work!

Good luck with it all, and with the new job.

I am in a similar situation - two staff have left in the last two weeks - it is hard not to take it personally but my Chairperson is very reasurring and sees it as a positive - if they are not willing to accept change then they are not right for the job. Also having problems recruiting - can't believe people are so fussy - had a lot of enquiries but they always come with 'conditions' - can't work this day, its too far to travel etc etc why bother coming for an interview then? Its clear in the adverts what is required. Sorry pinched your forum for a moan of my own. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason so keep positive and you will get the team you want!!

As the others have said see it as a positive challenge rather than something you have done wrong - I was asked to step up many years ago now when I worked in Family Centre, some of the staff had issues with it - but had the decency to come and discuss their concerns with me face to face, rather than being two-faced about it . This meant I could reassure them as to what would happen and the imapct it may have on them, and this worked, the most 'awkward' staff memeber actually said to me years later that I had done a really good job and she was just jealous! :o Treat it as a new phase in the development of your setting and move on. xD

Hi all thanks for the words of reassurance, Have spoke to the 2nd person to hand in notice after bumping into her in supermarket and it turns out shes been offered more hours at her main place of work so that explains it but why she didn say that initally ill never know!

We have had agood responce to advert with 12 applicants and most of them highly qualified with degrees etc,got 6 to interview.

The EY class teacher will be interviewing with us because we work closely with school being sited in their grounds. and oue EYA sent over a list of questions that we maybe should ask.

thanks for your support.

no doubt i'll be back before long with some other issue :o

Guest jenpercy
Hi all thanks for the words of reassurance, Have spoke to the 2nd person to hand in notice after bumping into her in supermarket and it turns out shes been offered more hours at her main place of work so that explains it but why she didn say that initally ill never know!

We have had agood responce to advert with 12 applicants and most of them highly qualified with degrees etc,got 6 to interview.

The EY class teacher will be interviewing with us because we work closely with school being sited in their grounds. and oue EYA sent over a list of questions that we maybe should ask.

thanks for your support.

no doubt i'll be back before long with some other issue :o

All I can say better that people come to thier own conclusion that they are not in the right job and leave. Let me assure you that that is far better than having staff who won't leave because they couldn't get a job anywhere else!!!!!

She said with feeling!!!!!!!!

Jen

Oh ive got one of those too. although we had a meeting yesterday with her and shes agreed to train this as been a big bone on contention for a couple of months she currently unqualified, but is now willing to train, because in her words" where else can work at my age!" :o

Edited by mk5698

Guest Spiral

I have to say, when changes happen the staff will all have a little 'wobble'. The best advice is to introduce any changes you wish to make gradually and encourage all staff to come straight to you if there are any problems or concerns. Most of all, just take it in your stride - you are taking over and you'll be able to put your own stamp on the place and compliment what has already been done.

Don't worry too much,

Spiral

This is a very familiar situation for me, I lost three members of staff over a few months when I had just taken over as manager, and I am sure it was because they didnt want to change the way in which things were done because "we have always done it like that"! and the new ways would mean them getting off their bums and interacting with the children!! However now I have a good team who are all working well towards the same coomon goals, and I got to choose them through interviewing so I knew what I was getting in to!

This is a positive situation to be in, I promise! x :o