Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Afternoon

Hi,

For our parents afternoon I have to complete a mini report which includes a general comment about the child then has a space for achievements, a space for targets and a space titled 'Further action'. We read through them with the parents and ask them to sign them. Previously, I have filled out the 'targets' as next steps for the children, however, there is only room for 3 or at a push 4 and have omitted the achievements section as I feel that their learning journal covers this (which we share at the parents afternoon and at regular intervals throughout the year and in response to parental requests).

However, I feel that I would like to fill out the achievements section as a quick learning journal summary but am not sure how to go about this in a concise way without listing every achievement the child has made to date! I would also like to fill in the 'Further action' section - e.g. with ideas for how we might meet these next steps.

Basically, has anyone any advice in how to complete such a sheet without re-writing everything that is in their learning journal. How do I decide what to include and what not to include? Or would it be better just to stick to next steps - and make room for at least 6?

Thanks

Green Hippo xx

Edited by green hippo

I can't really help you, except to say that as a parent I have never ever been to parents' evening/afternoon and recieved the sort of level of information that you seem to be implying you are required to provide!!!

All I have had is the opportunity to look at some of my child's work, a quick word or two on the level they are currently working at in maths and english, and then back out the door!!

Thanks EYFS1966 for your reply. It does sometimes seem like I have to write 3 lots of reports throughout the year but I am required to do what the other teachers do for their parents evenings. I think it came about because some parents were every year that their child needed to work on x or were struggling in a particular area, then would sound surprised when given similiar information the year after and say that they had never been told this about their child before, hence the parents signing the sheet!

What I'm trying to do is make it as appropriate to the EYFS as I can by doing a sort of a individual planning sheet. I'm just trying to keep it as concise as possible which is why I'm thinking that I might just stick to next steps like the one shown on the EYFS website and similar to those that others have posted on here. I have seen one that did have spaces for achievements - not sure whose it was though? As I said before, I don't know how much to write as it could go on forever!

Thanks again

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Green Hippo x

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

The first parents evening I had an A4 sheet withthe 6 areas and a statement about how the children were doing with a box at the bottom for any Issues and a space for parents to write their comment and sign.The parents then took the learning journal home and as I highlight where the children are so in effect I was repeating myself.

This last parents eveningI felt like you that I needed to be in line withthe other teachers then thought no!...I will be sending the learning journal home at the end of this half term and again after doing the e-profile I will be highlighting where the children are I am doing just as much paper work as every one else...so I talked to the parents and my TA typed up as we spoke our discussion!!! I have checked them through and they will go in the learning journal too,parents can add comments and sign.

Tinkerbell

We use an adapted version of Kent's "My Unique Story"

One is done within the first few weeks of starting school, then again at the end of T2, T4 and T6. This builds up a complete picture of the child's development throughout the year, with imput from Parents, child and school.

We send it home 2 weeks before interview dates and 119 out of our 120 children's parents have returned it this time for me to add my twopenneth before our meeting.

Last time we got 112 out of our 120 back..... so we feel it really works for us even though it is quite a bit of work.

We're hoping that this will replace end of year reports!!!!! Hi Nicole xxx LOL! (our new Head!)

Any chance you could upload your version of 'My Unique Story' Riverview? Or describe how it is set out?

Thank Tinkerbell for your reply - unfortunately I have to do these target sheets but as I said I'm trying to adapt it so that it is a positive, helpful document. I was actually on a course where they adviced us to do a summary sheet twice a year, so I suppose this would act as that. Just not looking forward to writing 28 of them, so am desperately trying to find a manageable way of doing it.

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)