Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Use A Capital Letter On Labels?

Just remind me!-if I'm doing a label-eg sand do I use a capital letter? My instinct says no as its not a name or beginning of a sentence but then capital letters are used for titles so like 'Construction Area' I'd write like that but 'construction toys' like that-is that right?!!! :o:D

OH Zim, tricky one that. I think the answer is yes and no!

Depends on the purpose of the label although possibly theoretically a label should have a capital letter. I do tend to vary what I do depending on the what Im using it for.

That doesnt sound very helpful, will be interesting to see how this one goes!

I don't know if I can be of any help either.

Normally if it's a name, place (Reading Rug) labels for equipment drawers or a written sentence for displays I do use a capital letter. If I'm writing key words to help label displays I don't (for example The Three Little Pigs. Key words to help with a blow painting activity are huff, puff, blow, bubbles, pop)

That's what I do anyway

Jambo

Similar story here - I don't generally use a capital for labels of any sort, but I do if it's a title (eg Reading Corner) or a sentence.

I don't think it really matters, though! :D

Wonder if I'm doing this right then - my labels for door/toilet/table/chair etc would all start with a capital letter 'cos it's a bit like the beginning of a sentence although it isn't a full sentence.

I know I pondered over the same question and felt it just didn't look right all in lower case - but I'm prepared to change if it's wrong!

Janice :o

This is one of those questions where the more you think about it the more confused you get. Or is that just me?

I was told by a friend of mine (who is a PLA accreditation assessor) that only labels with full sentences on should begin with a capital. All others should begin with lower case letters.

But I was in a Sure Start unit the other day and noticed that all their labels were in capitals!

Maz

Have just found a 'Musical instruments' poster from Nursery Education (that's how they've put it) and they have done it like this ............

Spanish guitar

Tambourine

Bongo drums

Electric guitar

etc etc

So I'm sticking with what I've got!

Janice :o

This is one of those questions where the more you think about it the more confused you get. Or is that just me?

I was told by a friend of mine (who is a PLA accreditation assessor) that only labels with full sentences on should begin with a capital. All others should begin with lower case letters.

But I was in a Sure Start unit the other day and noticed that all their labels were in capitals!

Maz

Hi Maz,

I completely agree with your PLA friend. Children need to learn that proper names, countries, months of the year, ect begin with a capital letter and that common names begin with small letters. Exceptions are titles of books, displays, areas/corners.

Have a nice weekend :)

I thought so. sounds like I'm doing it right but like everyone's said-you see it so different -even in professional places that it can be confusing!