Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suggested Books

Hi everyone.

Our EYAT visited today and suggested that we should purchase addition books which show disabilities in a normal way and men/women carrying out the reverse of stereotypical roles.

We have books about a disability - Topsy and Tim meet a special friend - for example but we need to find some which don't portray disabilities as being special or different....

Hope I've explained myself well enough!

I asked for a suggested list .... but no joy - so I thought I'd try all of you helpful souls!

:oxD

Any suggestions?

'Looking After Lewis' is quite nice. Although it does portray him as being special in a way it's still nice and can help children understand why some children might be treated a little differently to others and that it's important to tolerate this.

'Lucy's Picture' is also quite nice for thinking and understanding about blind people as the little girl makes a special picture for her blind Grandad. My children really enjoyed this when I read it to them. It's also good for talking about considering other people's needs and how these might be different from our own needs.

I found some very nice board books of nursery rhymes from a company called Cambridge Educational Toys. They have children doinf sign language and images of children with hearing aids and glasses etc just playing. Also only about £4 which is a good price for things like that.

Jane

I was going to recommend Lucy's Picture too but Kariana beat me to it!

I also have two books called Boots for a Bridesmaid and Are We There Yet?, both by Verna Allette Wilkins. They both tell stories unconnected to disability but each has a parent who uses a wheelchair shown in all the pictures and the parent is in an active, positive and typical parental role. I bought them to use with a child who's mother was a wheelchair user.

They were published by Tamarind but I looked for them recently and couldn't find them on sale anywhere. If anyone comes across them I'd love to hear about it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)