Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Done Any Fun Training Lately?

Hi, I'm trying to find a fun training session that (might!!!) make childminders want to come out on a Saturday in order to get bodies to a Childminding Group AGM.

In the past we have tried offering training, but ran out of money (and support) to fund it. We have a little bit in the bank now and people have suggested putting on fun training as an incentve - but I can't think of anything that has really motivated me lately!

Has anyone had a trainier that was really motivational but not really hard going? I attended some amazing lectures on my Foundation Degree, but am positive that they would not motivate people to come to an AGM (except me obviously, but I'm not enough on my own - or even with the other 7 members of the committee)

I am pondering the idea of a type of messy play session, or even a craft session, but am doubtful it will inspire many other than myself and the people who work the same way as I do..... it's a real dilemma!!

Any advice gratefully received :o

Hi smiffystuff! Good Luck with that one :( We childminders are VERY reluctant to give up our Saturdays xD

Last year Dudley offered a 10-3.30 training course on PSED Matters with various workshops and a cash incentive of £75 per childminder - that was fully booked :o

This year they're running 10-3.30 Saturday 21 Feb Childminder Conference with workshops on outdoor provision/Forest school, enjoying the beat, and ICT and the bonus prize is.... a digital camera for each attendee. I think they've had a high take-up rate for this one, too!

Nona

Have you asked them what they want? If it meets their needs, they are more likely to come.

I worked for a charity supporting childminders, and our AGMs were great - a key note address, and then a choice of workshops. Some fo the workshops were bought in, some were run by staff/ people on the committee. Parachute games might be fun.

Penny Tassoni was really good recently at the Nursery World Conference - very non threatening and lots of jokes. She spoke about developing language and communication in babies and toddlers. I'd pay to see her again!

Good Luck

pw xx

I would certainly agree that Penny Tassoni is a great speaker - she has been to our area twice, the first time she was talking about maths and was very inspirational in the way she talked about it and how to engage the children. Missed the second time round and can't remember now even what it was about - my own silly fault double booking myself.

Have you asked them what they want? If it meets their needs, they are more likely to come.

I worked for a charity supporting childminders, and our AGMs were great - a key note address, and then a choice of workshops. Some fo the workshops were bought in, some were run by staff/ people on the committee. Parachute games might be fun.

Thank you all, yes lolo, we have canvassed for ideas, but aside from the suggestion of a meal out, meeting at the pub or giving incentives we have come up fairly short. Considering we asked everyone which is 60 members and got 9 replies it appears we are banging our head against the wall!! (I loved those incentives by the way Nona, I'm tempted to move up your way! We usually manage to spend under £100 for the whole event so I'm thinking camera's etc would be pushing it a bit :o )

liking the parachute games idea, and have a few more up my sleeve, so at least we have something to work with - thanks again everyone for your help xD

During a Network meeting we had a lady from the SEN team do a workshop on making your own resources - discovery bottles, feely bags, threading toys (a large button on a string attached to the lid of a box containing felt squares with button holes cut into them)

She was really enthusiastic and really inspired me to make more use of things I'd already got - Childminders are always cost conscious when it comes to new toys and resources! She gave us photocopied patterns/instructions for some of her ideas and a card with the contact details for the local SCART resources recycling centre.

Some of the newer childminders have requested that the Network invite her back so they can benefit, too!

Perhaps you could do something silmilar and use some of your £100 to supply the materials for a "make" to do on the evening?

Nona

During a Network meeting we had a lady from the SEN team do a workshop on making your own resources - discovery bottles, feely bags, threading toys (a large button on a string attached to the lid of a box containing felt squares with button holes cut into them)

Brilliant idea thank you - will ask around and see if we have someone in the area - that sounds like fun, and as you say, to make something out of what you already have would really cost effective too, especially in the current financial climate.

Considering we asked everyone which is 60 members and got 9 replies it appears we are banging our head against the wall!!

Actually this is really high perentage of replies for mailouts, so don't stress!

You could go for a credit crunch theme, and have workshops on play for free - treasure baskets, heuristic play, ideas given above. You could also have workshops on the business side - advertising etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm one of those who might not turn up just for fun when there is so much work to be done. Something which may interest me is a series of SEF sessions. Bring along one's paperwork to a school or library with banks of computers and get some support with my SEF from those with lots more experience. Good Luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)