Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book Corner

Give me your views-few books, all front facing, need to have men,woman,old,young,diff cultures,fiction,non fiction.......How do you do it?Do you allow books on the floor or are they treated as special?Where else are books in the setting -near the water sand etc?

What to improve the book corner-what makes yours a 'come here' area

Thanks Anna

We use bath books in the sand and water area. the children in the setting are able to use the books on the floor if this is how they happy to look at the books. they are told that the must put the books back in to the correct box and area in the nursery. All the books have lables on them of colours and shapes and the boxes also have the same picture on them so the child know where to put them back. we also have settees and bean bags for the chidlren to sit on. I hope that I have answered your question.x

we have books in all areas of the room - eg construction area -books on building etc. our book corner has settees with fleece blankets on them,some small cushions and cuddley toys. we have also put a voile over it attached to the wall and window to make it a bit more cosy -the children seem to like this as they are using the area more since we did this. at times we put the props to go with a story eg three bears with bowls etc for children to use to act out the story.

Picture of one we did is in the gallery here...

easy to put away as we were pack away setting, books on front ans boxes on shelves at back of book case so we could rotate them or find spares or different books.

we had magazines / telephone directories / catalogues etc.. as well as books in home corner.. anything you may find around the house really... we used to bring in things like takeaway menus, and leaflets, junk mail for them to open etc..

books on a table as well in a box, not everyday but some liked them there more than on the floor or cosy corner.

having the enclosed area we found it always in use...

Inge

Picture was good.I suppose the 'books are special' comes from a visit to Reggio where they had at most 6 books out at a time all in perfect condition (the children were looking at them) being handled very carefully as something important that we look after.I think we have always thought the 'used ' condition books meant that they are being used- but are the children too young to understand that we do not stand on books, bend the spines, chew them? What do you think?

Also we have a lovely net which some of our big boys and girls continuously try to swing from or twist themselves in it so does not stay a lovely peaceful place for long, any ideas? :o

We have just made a cosy canopy. Before we let the children play with it, it was closed off, and we then went and sat in it and talked to the children about what it was for how it should be used. It is early days yet, not all children were there before half term especially the ones that like to jump and bash things.

We will have staff monitoring the area so that children will have the choice of using the area as intended or playing in another area of the setting.

We intend to put up fairy lights so that we can magically blow them on and off for story time - thats the intention anyway. We also want to have a special story chair.

We are in the process of trying to clearly mark the area boundaries with furniture etc. too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)