Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation Process

Hi

I've just registered with the forum and am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has been 'moderated'. I am the only FS Teacher in a small school and have the Sure Start team coming in next week - does anyone have any tips??? The plan is for the children to be involved with their choosing activities while myself and two of the SS team observe children then discuss our findings. They will also look through the FS profiles to ensure I am completing them appropriately.

Look forward to hearing from you ...

Hi Marmite, I just wanted to say welcome to a board !

Unfortunately I can't help you but I am sure some of more experienced people here will do it.

Wish you luck next week!

Welcome Marmite - I love the name!

I'm in a similar situation in that we have a moderator coming in next half term to discuss children's progress through the profile - I know that one of the main reasons is that because the profile is in its 'early days' and LEA's want to ensure that all schools are working along the same lines.

In terms of preparation I would say that ensure that everything that you think relates to your work with the profile - assessments and evidence (photos, past observations etc), evaluations, planning etc. are all on hand need they be required as there is nothing more frustrating than trying to explain that 'in the assessment you found...' only to realise that its under a coffee cup at home!

Secondly check that things are up to date - we use lots of sticky labels for example, that need to be stuck into their portfolios.

It might be an idea to make a few jottings about any questions that you have for the team - for example being unsure as to whether a piece of evidence relates to a profile point

Hope this helps

We use lots off pictures for profiles, they can say more then words. Also, post its can be handy while you working with children, you do not have to write lots on them.

Good observation should cover more then one area . We cross reference them.

Check that all areas are covered lt least with minimum numbers of observations.

I been earlier brain dead :oxD:(

Hi! I'm going to be moderating a couple of schools in my borough: THe focus is on 2 areas of the curriculum each time and half the schools are moderated one year and the rest the other so this is the second year. I'll be looking at the records and assessments to see if judgements could be made from them and the judgements already made, looking at work/samples around the place that support them and probably doing some observing too. The good thing is that it is being done by FS qualified people so should be developmental as well as monitoring standards i would hope.

Hi Marmite and welcome! :D

The moderation process should not be threatening although I think it is very easy to forget that! The visiting team should be looking to verify that your judgements through observation of a sample of children and by looking at the profiles. This is to ensure that standards are uniform within the LEA and across LEAs. The Profile is an assessment tool across the country and as such standards should be uniform.

So relax and have a good day when the team arrives. I am sure that your judgements/ observations will not differ widely!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)