Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

African Land Snails

Hi,

our local pet shop is giving these away as they have loads and I am considering one as our class pet.

Having read past posts it appears that one or two other settings have them.

I was just wondering how easy they are to look after. We have a fish tank it would live it, but it would probably then go on a low window ledge in the sun, would this be okay?

It was also suggested that it would need a heat pad under the tank to help it grow, it would just grow slower without one.

Any tips and advice would be most welcome

Thanks,

Jackie.

Although you may think you are only having one snail, the chances are you will find you will have lots of babies too at some point because of the way they breed!

At pre-school we "borrow" one every now and then from a parent and look after it for a few days, they are absolutely fascinating and the children love them.

You will be fine with a single snail if it is under 6 months old when you get it because although they are hermaphrodites they do need another snail to breed but once mated they can go on producing eggs indefinitely even if kept separately and 200 eggs every few weeks can be a problem ...

they can go on producing eggs indefinitely even if kept separately and 200 eggs every few weeks can be a problem ...

hence the pet shop giving them away free! xD

A couple of my friends keep ALS as pets and have introduced them to nursery and school classes with great enthusiasm. Kids love them! Me - I'm happy to send them home after I've "snail-sat" them for a fortnights holiday :o

They're low maintenance though, a spray with a mister every day to keep the tank humid, fresh veg daily and a full clean out every couple of weeks. Just remember to give them a cuttlefish in the tank to keep their shell strong and shiny and a lid is a MUST!! (preferably fitted with a catch)

Nona

We have two (kep in separate tanks) in our nursery and the children absolutely love them- parents too. They are very easy to keep, we have a thermometer stuck to the side to each tank to check the room temp. Daily mists with warm water, a little dish for water and different fruit and veg, plus a bit of cuttle fish keep them happy. A sunny or warm spot in the room is fine. Each of our snails has a rucksack with their name lable on and inside is a little book about GALS, an information sheet for parents and a diary for the children to write and draw in as our children can take the snail home at the weekend.

I borrow the local CC snails occasionally. they are brilliant and low maintenance and the kids love them. as already mentioned fresh fruit and veg, misting them, clean the tank and providing cuttlefish. ALS are hermaphodites. Our CC snails are escapees as well - they can push the lid open on their tank! they are often found around the room! lol

to handle them wet your hand/arm

hands should be washed throughly afterwards

Am sure this was discussed before but, be very careful eggs are not released into the wild. ALS would not do the countryside any favours! :(

This really bothers me - it's only a matter of time isn't it..........

We have a GAL and he is wonderful :o at least I think so...........and the children........we had him from a tiny baby so no eggs at all (thank heavens!) xD

I had one as a childminder, and the kids loved it, but it just kept hibernating all the time. I only wanted one for the egg reason above, and loved the low maintenance of it. We sprayed it daily etc, but it still kept hiding in its shel and hibernatingl!! So I donated it to someone with a collection already thinking it was lonely :o

How active do other owners of one find them? I'd love to get another one for preschool now, but not if it is just going to sleep all the time again!

Clare

Could it have been kept too cool? Could that have made it hibernate?

Mmm, maybe, it was by the radiator, but unless turned up all the time, my house isn't that warm. Definitly won't get one for preschool then, it is freezing in there each morning!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)