Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack Ideas

Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas for 'multi cultural' snacks I can provide for a sessional pre-school. That are very simple and very cheap.

Thanks

LoopyMc

What kind of thing did you have in mind when you say 'multicultural'? Do you mean snacks that are suitable across a range of cultures or snacks that are specific to different cultures?

Hi LoopyMc and a warm welcome to the forum from me! :o

We serve a range of diverse snacks and not just at the different festival times - Naan bread is a particular favourite, poppadoms, rice cakes, chapatis, toasted white and wholemeal bread, Irish brown bread, prawn crackers, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. This week we've received little packets of raisins and we've been having pancakes too. Yum! Last week we had cereal - rice krispies and some yummy hoops of some kind. Amazing how many children have them dry! xD

Our children tried coconut today!

Oh and olives went down well (I suggested it as my daughter has Portuguese heritage).

Often people think of asian food when they think multicultural, but Europe has many different cultures as well.

Oooooh olives a little like marmite - you either love em or hate em!! We had one little boy who used to bring in half a tub at lunch and consume the lot he was one of the happiest chappies when our local Sainsburys opened an olive bar and he could try out many different types. Bruchettas might be nice with a little spread or dip

Wow, thanks - that's a great amount of ideas.

We have a diverse mix of children at the settings and I really want to reflect this throughout our whole practice.

I regularly ask parents to share food and recipes with us, but it is usually for just one session on an ad hoc basis. I am also trying to expand our 'usual' snack menu. Although finances are a big factor, I think I can stretch to some of your ideas.

Thanks again.

I think I'm going to find this forum useful !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)