Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Returning Illness Policy

laura

A member of staff has just rung me asking a question about guidelines for when children return to pre-school after an illness for her NVQ 3.

She had written about Chicken pox, measles, rubella, whooping cough and wondered if their were any official guidelines regarding when they should be allowed to return.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Certainly Laura, there's been other threads on here about it and I'll have a search about for you and see if I can find something.

Here's the wording from our policy - the 06-07 one as the new one's not on this computer - I don't think there' been much change though

Communicable Diseases – infection or illnesses that can be passed to others.

Athletes Foot Exclusion from barefoot activities until free from infection

Chicken Pox 7 – 10 days after the last spots have appeared. Scabs need not have separated.

Dysentery Until bacteriological examination is clear

Food Poisoning Until declared fit by the District Medical Officer

German Measles 7 – 10 days after the rash has appeared

Headlice Until treatment has been carried out successfully

Impetigo Until spots are healed unless they can be covered

Infective Jaundice Until clinical recovery and at least 7 days after onset

Measles Until clinical recovery and at least 4 days following the onset of rash

Meningitis Until bacteriological examination is clear

Mumps Until swelling has gone

Ringworm (scalp or body) Until adequate treatment is instituted provided lesions are covered

Scabies/Threadworm Until adequate treatment is instituted

Scarlet Fever/ Whooping Cough Until clinical recovery

Verruca Exclusion from barefoot activities until free from infection

Notifiable Diseases

Some diseases have to be reported to the Authorities; some are notifiable under the Public Health Act (1984 Control of Disease). These are; Cholera, Smallpox, Relapsing Fever, Plague, Typhus and Food Poisoning.

Others come under the diseases notifiable under the Public Health Act (1988 Infectious Diseases) and are; Acute Encephalitis, Acute Poliomyelitis, Anthrax, Diphtheria, Dysentery, Leprosy, Leptospirosis, Malaria, Measles, Opthalmia, Paratyphoid Fever, Rabies, Rubella, Scarlet Fever, Tetanus, Tuberculosis, Typhoid Fever, Viral Haemorrhagic Fever, Viral Hepatitis, Whooping Cough and Yellow Fever.

here's another thread about it

Edited by Cait

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)