Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Signing In/out

We were told by our PLA rep that the person bringing and collecting the child should sign them in/out. We have a sheet where they write the childs name the time and then put their signiature. But, I read recently (and I cant remember where) that this wont be suitable for people who cant write, read, and it could be a confidentiality issue. We already do a register and note in it the time of late arrivals and early departures. Do we really need both? I'd welcome your thoughts. :D

Hi Rea!

It does sound a little over the top to have parents/carers signing their children in and out of each session. I guess a lot depends on how your setting handles registration. We have a set registration time, and parents/carers stay with their children until a member of staff comes to take the register (and responsibility for the children). The register doesn't note the time each child arrives, unless they arrive 'late'. However, the register notes the time each child leaves the setting. We have a book for parents to sign if someone else is collecting their child at the end of the session.

We have had our Ofsted inspection, and no queries or problems were raised with the way we handle children arriving and leaving the nursery.

I'm not sure if this helps or hinders you in reaching a conclusion, though!!

Maz

Our children self-register with parental help. We then call the register at 9.05 during which time the last few arrive. I just write the time that the register was done next to the date. After which any other arrival and departures are recorded individually. At home time all children leave within minutes and I record the time. If a child is still uncollected I record individually.. This was OK by Ofsted.

Well, Rea, much as I love the PLA, I think that's going over the top! Also, wherever you read that about difficulty reading/writing was spot on, I would say. If your register records times of arrival and departure I really don't think you need much else!!

In my humble opinion :o

Sue :D

We don't even record the time children arrive or leave. We put a green dot for when they arrive and a red one for when they leave. I do the register as they arrive through the door. OFSTED were more than happy with this when we were inspected. The children also self register by moving their name cards.

Linda

I do wish Ofsted would get their act together and decide just what they want. We were told that we had to have an arrival and departure time for children and staff. We sign in and out at the bottom of the daily register form. The children also self register like Linda said as well. With all this in place I do hope they are now happy!

Sorry if that sounds like a moan, not in the holiday spirit yet. :oxD

Gizzy

More or less the same as Linda. I mark the children in the register by the entrance door as parents bring them in. The children self register by putting their name cards in their 'hanging' pockets before they go off to their keyworker tables. At 9.15am most of the children are in, the door is locked and I take a formal register at circle time. Amongs other things we count how many children are there (they are counted by me as they first come in) then we put a card on the board that says how many children are present at Pre-school. If a child comes in late then they are added to the register and the number card is changed.

When the children go home they are ticked out. I don't put times by these. Again OFSTED have recently visited us and she didn't mention times being put by any comings or goings, she just wanted to ensure we marked the children in and out.

Sue J

Exactly my thougths re:the PLA Sue. I do think we are sometimes given such strange requests. I've been thinking of getting rid and everybody here has helped me to go with that thought. Thanks a lot :D:D:D

Ooooh Rea - do you mean getting rid of the PLA? Won't the sky fall in?! Perhaps I should declare my hand here - I worked in an admin capacity for the local branch for a number of years back when it was called the PPA!). In fact now there is no longer a branch in our area, and my group is no longer a member! I still believe in the PLA and there is much for them to do nationally. However as an ex-member of staff and an ex-member of the Alliance I have to report there is life after the PLA, the sky won't fall in and support is available from other areas!

I share the sentiments about Ofsted though: it does seem that Inspectors have their own 'hot buttons' which they feel strongly about. Wouldn't it be so much more simple if there was just the one opinion to consult? Ooops, sorry, just had to duck: almost got hit by the pig flying overhead....

Maz

Just a thought Rea I thought PLA was supposed to offer HELP. Thank goodness we have no longer have a PLA rep here neither do we have a visiting developement officer either. The early years team are always there for advice by phone and I prefer it that way. I often wonder why I continue the PLA membership. :o

Sorry, I've just re-read my last post, it was totally unclear :o I will be getting rid of the signing in/out sheets, not the PLA (yet!) I do actually like the PLA overall, I've just joined the exec. committee, I dont know what they want me for yet though, but I can bring up things like this. I do feel they sometimes ask us to do things which arent an Ofsted requirement, and while they may be good ideas and help towards best practice, they also add to paperwork and put an extra load on already overloaded staff. I actually dont rate Ofsted too highly either (part of why I'm leaving) xD I do agree that there should be one opinion on things, I read other peoples experience of inspections and cant always find a common thread in what groups are told are required. Oh well, only 5 months left to worry about it :D

I'm with the others on this one Rea - if a little late!! xD Our register has space to write in the times if children arrive late or leave early. Other than that they just get a tick. The children self register with cards and I do the register as they come in the door. I don't actually do a formal registration period - I've always found it to be unneccessary with so few children and would hate to interupt the flow of their play so soon after they've arrived. :o

The work traditionally done by Development Workers has been more and more taken over by the Early Years team in our area, too. For those of us who had worked in the Branch for many years it was a little hard to swallow and we fought to keep the PLA representation alive in our area. However, with the Early Years team providing such good training, support and advice, sadly most groups didn't feel strongly about it. PLA members are supported by a Development Worker, just not one who is local, which kind of defeats the object.

We also felt that the PLA membership was not money well spent. We took our courage in our hands, shopped around for insurance elsewhere and haven't looked back. The members of the old Branch still keep in touch though, and we get together to 'air and share', and put the world to rights.

I suppose what groups in our area miss is the independent voice of the PLA: sometimes you need advice and don't want to get the Early Years team involved. Having said that, you all provide this kind of support for each other here, and it costs a lot less than PLA membership (and you don't get bombarded with those 'come to our AGM or your local branch will fold' letters - I know, I wrote a lot of them in my time!).

Maz

I totally agree with you Maz about the PLA. Everything you have said is as it was with me. I used to be Chairperson of our local branch for a few years (and I remember those letters as well!!!) We had great meetings both formal and informal and I met a lot of people who became good friends and we keep in touch and still meet every so often. As for this site I just don't know what I would do without it - there's always someone to offer advice and support and I feel as though I have known you all for ages. :):)

Sue J

Echo those last sentiments, Sue J!! :D

PLA, I think, have become aware of all this, turning far more (at least in this area) to providing training, at which they are excellent!! (I would say that, I was a registered PLA Tutor :o ) In our area they deliver a significant percentage of the Early Years Team Training sessions/courses and are heavily involved in the development of the Early Years Sector.

Sue :D

I too was involved with PLA at a local level. But Stockport groups felt the cost of membership was too high for what we were getting. So the local PLA branch folded and we set up our own support group-Stockport Pre-school Providers. We have a membership fee of £20 and we meet each term. This way we talk about local issues as well as looking at the bigger picture. As a network we also belong to Playgroup Network who can help us out with matters on a national level.

Our development workers are employed by the local authority, formally our EYDCP which disbanded in November. But we don't see them unless we have a problem-which suits me fine. We have Early Years Advisors who come out regularly and are pretty good on the whole. They also provide training.

Linda

And going back to the original question, how would we support adults who were not so confident in their literacy skills if they had to sign books or forms during the morning rush? Nothing like adding more stress to the morning routine!

We could easily end up spending more time making sure our registration paperwork was fully completed rather than ensuring our children were settled, and dealing with any 'separation crises' which happen!

I like our registration system, and I think we'll stick with it...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)