Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps Written Task 1 - Activity For Babies

Hi, I could really do with some ideas! I am about to do my 6 week placement in the baby room and am thinking of an activity to 'lead and support' in as part of my EYPS long pathway written task. All my experience is with 2 and above so I'm finding the thought of organsing an activity for babies a little daunting.

So far I've thought about treasure baskets, or an activity with light and dark.

Hope someone out there can help me!

Many thanks.

Hi

I'm not experienced in this area, so not sure how suitable these but here are some ideas~

• sensory play with cooked noodles (as Ch New Yr is soon)
  • discovery bottles
  • pushing wheeled toys with painted wheels along a roll of wallpaper

Hi

I'm not experienced in this area, so not sure how suitable these but here are some ideas~

• sensory play with cooked noodles (as Ch New Yr is soon)
  • discovery bottles
  • pushing wheeled toys with painted wheels along a roll of wallpaper

Many thanks, I like the idea of linking something to Chinese New Year. What do you mean by discovery bottles?

Lisa

Have you spoken to the room leader, or been into the room to see what sort of experiences the babies are currently offered? If not you might want to hold off before doing any amount of planning work because they might already do the things you're considering very effectively. Of course if the baby room is within a setting you know very well, so you might have done this already! Perhaps the room leader has an aspect of practice that she'd like you to develop? Or a new experience that she feels the babies might enjoy but hasn't risen to the top of the 'to do' list.

Also, what are the needs of the children within the room? What stage of development have they reached and what do they seem to be interested in?

There's a lot to consider and you've only six weeks - when do you start?

Maz

Have you spoken to the room leader, or been into the room to see what sort of experiences the babies are currently offered? If not you might want to hold off before doing any amount of planning work because they might already do the things you're considering very effectively. Of course if the baby room is within a setting you know very well, so you might have done this already! Perhaps the room leader has an aspect of practice that she'd like you to develop? Or a new experience that she feels the babies might enjoy but hasn't risen to the top of the 'to do' list.

Also, what are the needs of the children within the room? What stage of development have they reached and what do they seem to be interested in?

There's a lot to consider and you've only six weeks - when do you start?

Maz

Hi Maz, I start the week after next. I haven't worked in the room yet but have been at the placement in the toddler room before Christmas. I think you are right I should settle in first. I keep stressing that I need to do some amazing activity but I feel with babies it is more about keeping it simple and as you say base it on my observations. The children are 6 to 12 months.

Many thanks.

I keep stressing that I need to do some amazing activity but I feel with babies it is more about keeping it simple and as you say base it on my observations.

In terms of the written task, I'd definitely agree to keeping it simple - you don't want to make life too difficult for yourself! Will you have a chance to speak to the room leader before you join to see if s/he has any initial ideas?

Good luck - I loved working with the babies I met on my placement.

Maz

you need to ask the team there ( so they are on your side :o ) then decide what you want to change! most practitioners choose treasure baskets, change in routines or somthing to do with nursery rhyme cards etc xD

you need to ask the team there ( so they are on your side :o ) then decide what you want to change! most practitioners choose treasure baskets, change in routines or somthing to do with nursery rhyme cards etc xD

Thanks Hali,

Wondered if you get a chance you could let me know what you mean by nursery rhyme cards, that sound interesting. Thanks!

some practitiioners have made up cards with pictures of nursery rhymes or found little fluffy anials to represent rymes; eg a sheep for baa baa black sheep - put them in a basket or containers so that the babies can self select and decide what they want to sing. :o

Also, think carefully about the standards you want to cover...and ensure your activity covers as much as possible. I found it useful to think about the activity and then work out what standards i expected it to cover, then "tweaked it" to ensure I got some more standards covered also.

i do agree with what you are saying EYFs but also feel for many without baby experience this is the hardest task to write - so would urge you choose a change that is relitivly easy to manage and implement - the standards will come into what ever you implement and you have many other tasks to cover the standards! - so :o dont panic about standards with task one! x

some practitiioners have made up cards with pictures of nursery rhymes or found little fluffy anials to represent rymes; eg a sheep for baa baa black sheep - put them in a basket or containers so that the babies can self select and decide what they want to sing. :o

Hi, many thanks, I love the idea of cards for songs as I tend to sing the same old songs! These would be a great prompt.

The standards you could provide evidence for, I would suggest, are:

1, 2, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 (possibly) 15, 19, 25, 26, 32, 34, 35 (possibly) and 38! And that's on my first read-through! :o

I agree with HappyMaz in that you need to establish the current practice before you can start to think about bringing something new to the setting and staff. Good luck; I'm sure you'll have lovely time with the babies xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)