Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Timeout Timer

I was on a behaviour course last week and as we were talking about timeouts one fellow teacher said she used a big egg timer to measure the minute away from the class.

I have been desperately trying to find one of these since, does anyone know where i could find one? I've tried ebay and they're generally small and are made of glass, also they're usually for 3 minutes which is to long.

Please help!

Cheers x

Hi buttonmoon

SBS have them in their catalogue. There are 3 giant sand timers running for 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes. They cost £42.95 plus vat. They also charge £3.95 delivery for orders under £75.

Linda

I have just found the same ones in the Yorkshire purchasing catalogue for £30.25 plus vat and they don't have a delivery charge. They also do individual ones for 30 seconds and 1 minute and they are £10.95 plus vat. These are also in the GLS catalogue 10p cheaper and again they don't charge for delivery. They are called Ballotini timers.

Linda

Hi Steve

Yorkshire Purchasing is a school suppliers in Wakefield. They tend to be, on the vast majority of items, a lot cheaper than the others such as Hope and SBS-as you can see with the example above. They are particularly cheaper on stationery and card etc.

I have to say though that the catalogue states that they are unable to supply to private individuals and bodies. I am not sure if this means private nurseries and pre-schools. I have bought from them for a long time and I think I managed to sneak in before they became stricter with who they supplied to. But it would be worth making an enquiry.

The website is

www.ypo.co.uk

I do all of my ordering from them on line, which makes life so much easier. They don't charge for delivery and orders are usually with us within a week.

GLS tend to be cheaper too and sometimes beat YPO on prices. They don't have a delivery charge either.

Linda

I mis-read the Yorkshire Purchasing catalogue as the Yorkshire Pudding catalogue for a second there :o (just shows what's on my mind!)

As well as the sand timers I sometimes use a TESCO wind up kitchen timer - not so immediately visual but makes a heck of a din!

Me too! I'm currently road-testing all sorts of ready made yorkshire puddings as my skills seem to have 'flewed away' as one of my children once charmingly said of my father's hair!!

Sorry, you may now return to the original topic, actually, I'm quite interested in these people, too...for equipment, not puddings!!!

Sue :D

A cheaper alternative

Make one! use 2 pop bottles and a make a hole in a piece of card to put beteween them put sand in one and tape them with necks together, takes time and experiments to get the timing right, hole right etc, but our children enjoyed helping make them. Use ones with a base or else put them into jar lids to make them more stable.

we use them for places which are particulrly popular and need restricted numbers like the computer,

we also use a basic kitchen timer with the loudest ring ever. ( this was for me as I constantly burnt anything we cooked with the children, very realistic firedrill with the forgotton biscuits, lots of smoke by the time I remembered.) we use this if we want to bring the childrens attention to anything times, but for time out would only use the sand timers.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)