Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk Time

I have to set up a cafe style milk time as part of the accreditation process can anyone give me some advice on how to make it work. How do you ensure that each child only has one drink and snack.

I am going to get it up and running after the 1/2 term break so any advice gratefully received.

Thanks Gizzy

My PDW has been saying for ages that I should set one up and in the accred form section 4.4 it says "adults sit with children in small groups or on a one-to-one basis (pre-schools may have a "milk bar" or a "cafe system")" So it looks like it is sort of prefered. I have had an action plan for it for about 10 months now so have been thinking about it for ages.

The way the session is run on a Thursday is different to the other days of the week and having all the children sitting down together was not working very well. Will not go into it in detail but I just feel the cafe style will suit the session better and as I can't do it for one session only will have to do it for all of them.

Do you have a cafe style milk time? and if so how does it work out?

Gizzy :D

We changed to cafe style about 6 months ago, our children have placemats with thier name on which they find before sitting down, they pour thier own drinks and offer the food to others. when finished they take thier cup and mat to the kitchen hatch, this way we know who has been or not, some always seem to want to be first, others last as they know they can often have more to eat if any is left!!

not all children use it every day, if we notice they have not been we remind them as very often they are so engrossed in what they are doing they forget. we have it out for 1 hour each day as we do not have space for it to be available all the time, but this is always long enough.

To begin with they always needed reminding to wash thier hands first but now do it without much prompting, always the same ones forget!!

An adult joins them at the table sometimes more than one if the numbers allow.

Inge

Thanks Inge,

Like the mat idea, not sure if I will use name cards or not. Will think about it over the 1/2 term hols.

Will give it a go and let you all know what happens!

No Gizzy we dont use the cafe style. There was a thread on this a while ago and I do think in some settings it can be a good idea but as we open for just 2 and half hrs we decided that a set time would work better for us. We still sit with the children while they eat so we can cover that angle in our QA. :D

We were advised recently to change to a cafe style snack time but as we only have 7 children it seemed like a ridiculous idea. :o I can understand why it might be useful in a group with large numbers of children but I like the system we have at the moment. :) Much more cosy and friendly!

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know how milktime is going. well apart from the odd child drinking/eating someone elses milk/biscuit it is going well so from it being 5:1 against it, it is now about 5:1 for it. :D

This topic really illustrates why I like this forum, we can discuss and take on board others ideas, but are still respected if we choose not to do what is suggested ( if you know what I mean). Citizenship - value and respect each others opinions :o

Gizzy,

Today we thoroughly enjoyed porridge and hot chocolate xD:(:( at our snack bar which runs all day for drinks and most of the day for snacks. No food between 11am and after lunch.

Peggy

Our Cook decided to treat the children to hot chocolate after their Outdoor time - half of them rejected it!!!!!!!! :o We didn't have the heart to tell her, she's such a lovely lady :(:(

Sue xD

Gizzy,

Today we thoroughly enjoyed porridge and hot chocolate :o  xD  :(  at our snack bar which runs all day for drinks and most of the day for snacks. No food between 11am  and after lunch.

Peggy

How did you keep the drink and porridge hot. Did you serve it up as each child wanted it?

Have given up on the "near miss book" couldn't decide what a near miss was so just put all accidents in it and tell parents of any thing else I think they need to know.

As for passing or not with a cafe style milk time I have no idea but have decided to do what ever the children and the staff want, and will worry about it when it happens.

Gizzy :(

Gizzy,

We made a large jug of each, and they both went very quickly. :D The porridge was quite hot so it was actually cooled down with milk. Both are quick to make because we have the use of a microwave. Providing these did require adult to make and supervise, but hey, I didn't mind ( being the boss I get the best jobs) as I did have to test quite a few bowls of porridge to ensure it wasn't too hot xD:(:( and sing a rendition of "When goldilocks went to the house of the bears" :o

The main aim of Quality assurance is to evaluate present practice WITHIN YOUR SETTING, and evolve as a team, your values and principles and therefore practice. It is not about that "mythical list" we all seem to refer to at one point or another, you know the invisible/ hearsay list that say's....YOU MUST DO THIS, OR YOU SHOULD DO THAT....

How boring and unproductive if we were all the same....

Good luck.

Peggy

p.s. Gizzy notice my comment "evolve as a team" this means ALL staff should be involved in the "work" of Accreditation, not just one person. Difficult I know, but that is one of the fundamental aims of the process.

Thanks Peggy I wish it were that easy. It was me who persuaded the staff to do the accred scheme as they like to continually point out, although they all aggreed to do it.

Love the drinks and porridge idea, night just try that, mmmmmmmm toast and hot chocolate.

Gizzy

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just thouht I would let you know the cafe style milk time is a big hit with everyone now. Well if it isn't they haven't told me :o

Children all love it and apart from the little ones needing help with drink and snack all is well. We are having toast this week, haven't been brave enough to have porridge or hot chocolate yet. Making milkshakes after 1/2 term so fingers crossed.

Still plodding on with the accreditation. But it has to be finished by July.

Gizzy

Missed the porridge and hot chocolate chat the first time round. We don't have a microwave, but I'm sure our children would love hot chocolate! Made with full fat milk, of course!!

Perhaps I'll treat myself to a pre-bedtime hot choc myself...

Maz

I recently bought a blender for £40, it's been great for milk shakes. I enable the children to cut, mash and scoop the fruit into the jug, add some milk then the children press the buttons to mix.

Favourite was Banana, they weren't keen on Strawberry or pineapple ( so I had to drink most of that :o )

In the summer we will add ice to the juice and listen to the blender crushing it up. The "making" is as much if not more fun than the drinking. :D

Peggy

p.s. Gizzy, glad to hear your trial cafe has gone well, we never know unless we try do we? :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)