Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Word Counts And Referencing (aaaah!)

I wonder if anyone can help me before I throw in the towel! I started my Foundation Degree with the Open University in October and have to hand in my second assignment next week. I have completed it (not sure if its right, but that at the moment is the least of my worries!) I need to get my word count down from 1555 to 1500, and I still have to add references to the main text which will put the word count up further. I wondered if I can use abbreviations for documents such as Every Child Matters if I write it in full first time I mention it. Any help gratefully received.

Also I have referenced a website which I used and am not sure how to reference it in my main text. I know what to do for the reference list but not sure if I need to add the website name in the text or just the author.

If anyone can make sense of this and has any help then thank you,

mrsW.

Hi

I am in second year of FD, hang in there it can be confusing, for referencing help try the website Neils Toolbox, you input the info as requested and it lays it all out for you.

You can go 10% over your word count usually with no problems.

Make sure your writing is analytical avoid fuzzy words. For example this is a copy of a paragraph from a book reveiw I did (Awarded A Grade) Hope this helps.....

Janet Moyles has bought together a wide contribution of theorists in support of learning through play in this publication. Froebel, Macmillan Sisters, Montessori, Steiner and The Isaacs, cited in Moyles (2005) all fully endorse play as the basis for early childhood learning. Smith (2005) cited in Moyles (2005) comments that because of its diversity, play continues to defy attempts at quantification. This causes disquiet for Government policy makers; Michael Fallon, Minister with the DES (1980) as they believe without the ability to quantify learning curriculum guided settings will become playgroups, ending in an unproductive end result. Bennet et al (1997) cited in Moyles (2005) comments that the ideology of play creates difficulties for teachers delivering syllabus as perceived constraints on time, curriculum requirements and expectations of others does not support their work.

We use abbreviations for some writing once it has been established what it means.

Good luck and keep going it does get easier (ish) lol

Edited by Guest

Hi I've not long completed foundation degree, now on ba (hons) top up and am only just getting my head around havard referencing! not to fear though, lalalou makes good point about being able to go 10% over/under word count but double check with ou.

Have they provided you with any study skills documents? I'm studying with Edge Hill and they have a rather good booklet on HR system- don't think I will be allowed to post on here but perhaps if you PM me I could email it you as it has loads of useful info on referencing within your assignments and bibliography...

I write abbreviations for such doc's too- once, as you said, stating it full- make sure you still reference author and date after abbrev though e.g. EYFS (DCSF 2008)

just want to say that with regard to citations I am currently writing an assignment (having a well earned break atm though obviously!) and have done a few "author names cited in so and so (DATE)..." and happened to be checking how to reference earlier today and my HR booklet says you don't need to date or reference in bibliography the original author as you are not actually reading their work directly e.g. (taken from my work:

Cameron (cited in Pugh and Duffy 2006: 192) described the role of these professionals...

make sure you put page number of a quote or citation after author of cited book (hope that makes sense!?)

Each establishment probably varies and thats me being pedantic- hope I don't come across as critising your work here lalaloulou

I will check what booklet says about website referencing as i know I've always referenced those wrong! will let you know what it says shortly, keep going with it- the more you do it the more it will come easily to you

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

lalaloulou, Cait and ExtraordinaryChicken, thank you so much for your replies they have been so useful. Neil's toolbox sounds great I am going to go and have a look at it and thanks for reminding me to remember to reference author and date after abbreviation, I would never have remembered to do that!

I am feeling so much more motivated to go and finish my referencing you have all given me the boost I need. I have been so busy writing my assignment I forgot about asking my question here, so glad I remembered.

Thank you all very much, I will let you know how I get on when I get my marks back (well maybe not if I fail!!!)

mrsW.x

Hi I've not long completed foundation degree, now on ba (hons) top up and am only just getting my head around havard referencing! not to fear though, lalalou makes good point about being able to go 10% over/under word count but double check with ou.

Have they provided you with any study skills documents? I'm studying with Edge Hill and they have a rather good booklet on HR system- don't think I will be allowed to post on here but perhaps if you PM me I could email it you as it has loads of useful info on referencing within your assignments and bibliography...

I write abbreviations for such doc's too- once, as you said, stating it full- make sure you still reference author and date after abbrev though e.g. EYFS (DCSF 2008)

just want to say that with regard to citations I am currently writing an assignment (having a well earned break atm though obviously!) and have done a few "author names cited in so and so (DATE)..." and happened to be checking how to reference earlier today and my HR booklet says you don't need to date or reference in bibliography the original author as you are not actually reading their work directly e.g. (taken from my work:

Cameron (cited in Pugh and Duffy 2006: 192) described the role of these professionals...

make sure you put page number of a quote or citation after author of cited book (hope that makes sense!?)

Each establishment probably varies and thats me being pedantic- hope I don't come across as critising your work here lalaloulou

I will check what booklet says about website referencing as i know I've always referenced those wrong! will let you know what it says shortly, keep going with it- the more you do it the more it will come easily to you

I think it is fair to say that different establishments tend to do things slightly differently, even tutor to tutor so it is best to check with your OU. We are supposed to be following Harvard referencing which seems open to interpretation by some tutors, how can we get it right when they keep moving the goal posts - lol. We are told to put all our page numbers on books cited in the reference list apparently as per Harvard Ref.

Edited by Guest

Hi MrsW,

I see you've already had your questions answered but just wanted to say Good Luck with the assignment. I also partway through the FD with OU and just about to start another course so i'll be doing 2 at once :oxD

I'd probably be doing much better if i didn't keep having severe cases of assignment avoidence!!!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the advice and support today. It's just what I needed to help me get my assignment finished and sent!! (not that I have finished and sent it, just that I now think I can finish and send it). Rapunzel, good luck with 2 courses, I am sure you will do well.

mrsW.xx

• 2 weeks later...

so excited, just got my marks back and I passed. Thank you so much to everyone who helped and for all the emails people sent offering advice and help, you know who you all are.

thanks again,

mrsW.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)