Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babies Mark Making

Hi There. I hope this is in the right place.

I don't really have experience of working with babies and have been asked to do some activities with a baby room around mark making.

I wanted to start with sensory materials in powder form and was thinking of custard powder, coffee, chocolate, baby powder, etc. Are these all safe to use with babies, obviously supervised.

Many thanks

I've use yoghurt, chocolate mousse, tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce, fruit puree, mashed rusks and custard - then it doesn't matter when they inevitably eat some! :o

Nona

I don't really have experience of working with babies and have been asked to do some activities with a baby room around mark making.

I wanted to start with sensory materials in powder form and was thinking of custard powder, coffee, chocolate, baby powder, etc. Are these all safe to use with babies, obviously supervised.

Many thanks

I would use all of those things except coffee - just think it's too bitter a taste and if any of them put a handful in their mouth it would be pretty horrible for them

I found a really lovely recipe for baby safe paints in a book on using natural materials through the age ranges using baby lotion and a sprinkling of powder paint or cocoa powder and a squirt of fairy liquid.

Playdough can be used one to one to prevent eating.

You can make dough with just flour and water or add a little food colouring. This can be finger paint when watered down.

Any food is good to explore really.

Water with a tiny bit of food colouring just to make it visible

Older babies (around one year) can make marks by using chunky chalks on the patio.

Many thanks

Hi, this is my first time on the forum and I'm here to get ideas for when I finally become a registered CM, so I hope I don't come across as completely dense!

When you were using these powders did you just put them onto a surface/tray and let the babies stick their hands in, is that mark making as it were? What age would this be for, young babies that can't hold chalk/pen/paint brush?

Hi Lorna and welcome to the forum.

I would sprinkle or pour a little of something onto a high chair tray, low table or a tray on the floor. Then just let them explore the medium and discover what happens as they move the fingers through it making marks. This eventually develops into writing and drawing as they get older.

It can be for any age not just young babies. Older children really enjoy this sort of activity as well and making controlled big movements can help develop and support the skills they need for pencil control and writing.

You most certainly don't come across as dense!

I love how much there is to learn on this forum so keep looking and asking.

Thank you for your reply Upsy Daisy. I have a daughter who is 15m and I know she'd love to do this but until I saw this thread I had never thought of it! I have just bought a big tuff spot tray due to a thread on here (that's actually how I came across the forum in the first place!) which will be brilliant for this and I think two toddlers should be able to play in/on it at the same time with all the powders - I'm actually rather excited about it now, can't wait for my first client to come!

Edited by Guest

Hello and welcome from me, too!

No matter how long we've been childminding we all learn new things from this forum - enjoy!

Nona

I feel slightly as if my head is going to explode from all the ideas i've seen, none of which I would've thought of - but then I've always known I haven't got a creative bone in my body! My daughter won't know what's hit her when I start testing all these ideas on her! :o

Like the link Marion put on I've been in nurseries where the babies are striped to their nappies and sat on paper, with suitable floor covering, and allowed to feel, make marks and move in the paint. Its a messy activity but providing you prepare in advance (and warn parents) its a great thing to watch. Give them brushes, sponges, cars and just see how they use it ready for next time. Red paint tends to stain as does orange and black, paler colours are probably best if you're new to it, its not so scarey for parents either.

Allow yourself plenty of time between snack, lunch, nappy changing ect and be ready with all the cleaning things you might need i.e. a baby bath, flannels, towels, fresh clothes. Best if you can allow more than one at a time too. So much better for them and you if its not done in isolation. Take photos and make a display, not a 'we made a butterfly' type but one that says 'we experienced this...' 'the babies used/felt/smelt/discovered...' You can add things to the paint for smells too, baby lotion, food essences, but check allergies, obviously!

Be prepared also to ignore babies who play with their food subsequently. I used to hate being somewhere that allowed food play as an activity and then told the children off for playing wih their dinner. Its either or I'm afraid.

Edited by Rea

Cover the table with a black bin bag, tape it securely in place and put small amounts of paint, or anything else you like, onto it. The babies/toddlers can run their hands through it, and the black bag makes it stand out. If you want to keep evidence rather than only photos, place a piece of paper on to their marks and print them off. My friend used to frame them and sell them. We always need funds!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)