Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys Aged Three 'must Work More!

If we're tailoring it to boys interests we need to link it to running, wrestling, racing, weaponry, superheros, vehicles, Ben10, football and creepy crawlies. Not waiters, form filling and phone messages! I can't remember ever caring for a little boy who was passionate about working in a post office!

My little boy made LOADS of marks for the things he was interested in - even at 4 he was drawing very technical pictures of bikes, locomotives, aeroplanes and things like that - It's just a matter of finding out what their interests are, and as you say - not many of them are interested in post offices!

'My' boys spend a lot of time mark-making - always on their own terms - and I believe it's only by providing plenty of resources, and that includes giving opportunities for them to see drawing being done wherever possible, that this will happen regularly and confidently. My husband does technical drawing and my son saw this happening on a daily basis, and I'm sure that's why he had the impulse to do it himself.

The face says it all, these boys loved writing their own Chinese Menus :o

The 'unusual' writing tool and I think the 'black' paint was the motivators here xD

Peggy

post-3604-1262468608_thumb.png

Guest eck1975

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Hadn't seen it until just! Aaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Is pretty much all I can say!

Well, that totally contradicts the 'Raising Boys Achievement' training I have been on fairly recently, which is being run by Early Yrs Advisors and is based on research into the actual developmental differences between boys and girls.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I can't imagine any of the boys in my class being particularly interested in, or motivated by, being waiters/taking orders, being post office workers or taking phone messages!!!!!

.... and none of us have ever thought of providing a variety of/different/unusual media and materials inside and outside the classroom! Obviously we all give the children in our classes pencils and lined paper .... aaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrr!

Apologies for the rant!

At least we all think the same!

I wonder how much the information packs are going to cost to produce and send to every early years provider to tell us to do what we already do

Exactly my thoughts too Marion. :o

Peggy

I wonder how many advisory teachers/development workers share our rosy view of the high quality practice we see in settings up and down the land as they go about their daily work? I wonder if they might say that a more realistic picture of how settings promote mark making is a few unsharpened pencils on a shelf and some tatty notebooks in a drawer somewhere, or a folder full of worksheets to go with every topic?

I haven't seen the guidance yet so can't comment on how useful it will be. However there will always be practitioners who will take a publication of this kind and feel it validates their own existing high quality practice. I'm sure there are others who will view these new and strange ideas with suspicion and feel threatened by change.

I hope this guidance document will provide challenge for those who need it, validation for those who don't, but also a few 'light bulb' moments for those reflective practitioners who recognise that there is always room for improvement.

I think that is quite a useful aspiration for anyone seeking to provide advice or support to individuals or settings. Perhaps the DCSF could incorporate it into their mission statement? :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)