Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration

hi all

At the moment in Nursery we have every childs name outside in the corridor on the wall and each child finds their name and brings it into Nursery and places it is a basket. I am looking to change this idea and move it inside the classroom however we havent got any space to put the childrens names. Has anybody got any good ideas of how the children can register themselves? any ideas would be a great help

thanks kate

Hi, we have them in a tray, then the children put them up (velcro) onto a lovely big blue felt display board. At the top are pictures/words for milk, squash or water so they also choose their drink at this point. We are a pack away setting so the board is fixed to the wall using those hooks that you keep net curtains up with, and it can easily be hooked off.

I think it's better that they use their name to say yes they are here, and it stays up in view for them and us to see, rather than them taking their name down and putting in a basket. Is this why you are changing your system?

we had a metal notice board (Ikea did cheap sturdy ones) and magnets on back of the names... until we found a cupboard with a metal door to use so they were on display and it worked really well.. on arrival they found them in a basket or laid out on a table to pick up and put on wall... took up no room and was easy to do...

when they had snack they moved them to the snack table and gave them to the member of staff there so we knew who had had something...

Inge

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a slow reply but only just seen this post. I have a radiator which I have put velcro bits on. I use the self register pictures from sparklebox with their names on, they are laid out on a table when they come in and they velcro them on the radiator.

I'm in receptionso might be a bit different but do you have an IWB? Sparkle box also have an interactive self register on there. I currently use that for the lunches, children drag their name onto hot lunch or packed lunch but the self register prob works in the same way, that way you dont need wall space!

We have an apple tree, each child has an "apple" with their photo and name on. as i write this it reminds me that the top velcro needs redoing- just another job.

they also use their apple as guidance when writing their name.

we had a train and carriages but issues arose about who was in the first carriage, the tree has been done in sucha way that no one person is top or bottom

In reception they have their names on a list on the wall and beside it they velcro either a picture of a packed lunch box or a dinner.

Hi

A nursery I visited had the names for that session near the door and the parent helped their child find it, then they velcroed it above a coat peg - hometime was the reverse.

I liked it as it saved the children having to share pegs and made 'use' of their name tag.

I had a felt covered board put up on the cupboard door the children have to pass once they've hung up their coats. The children find their names on the unit nearby and stcik it (velcro) to the board. We can see at a glance who's in.

Wehave too many children to use the names on pegs idea but if we had more space, i'd like to do that too. Might adapt that idea for our younger group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)