Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Full Day Care

Carol

Hi

At the present time we run 4 sessions a week due to the lack of availability of the room we rent (it is used by the school the other days.)

We have enquired with Ofsted as to whether we would be able to run full day care on a Friday only as we are now able to have the room all day. We have already had 16 children interested in full day care.

I have sent in a detailed action plan and said how we would cover staff breaks, childrens dinner, provide quiet areas in case children (or staff!!!) need to rest etc.

Has any one else been through swapping from sessional day care to full day care recently and could give me ideas of what else Ofsted would need to know and they are coming next Wednesday to see us.

Thanks Carol

Cant help carol, sorry, but if they say no for any reason you could always still offer a 5th session on the Friday afternoon. So long as there is break of an hour you can do two sessions on one day without having to provide full day care. It's what we do twice a week. :D

I haven't swapped from sessional to full day but would think that Ofsted would ask about the full days routine. Would you repeat the morning routine in the afternoon?

Do children have outdoor access, if not could you provide other ways to offer the children a chance to get some fresh air. I run full day care and by about 2pm it becomes obvious by activity levels that the children need to "get out" We don't have outside space but go for a 30min local walk twice a day, it really benefits the children and staff.

Also if this is the first time you are offering lunch, talk through with lunch staff their values and principles with regard to eating...ie: do you encourage children to eat savoury before pudding, when can they leave the table? etc. if packed lunches, will you advise parents of "Healthy options", Will there be any foods that you would wish to ban ie: No sweets, no fizzy drinks etc.

Are you a member of PLA, they have publications with advice about "Extending hours" including possible grants.

Also to consider when budgeting, increase in N.I. costs if staff wages increase, not sure if the registration fee is higher for Full day care compared to sessional.

Good luck.

Peggy

I have recently started opening for daycare on 2 days a week. Children love it and so do parents. Parents pay a top-up fee of £1 for lunch care. Staff love it as well as the children seem so relaxed in the afternoons.The regulations are very similiar to sessional care i.e. children must a comfy space to rest.Lunch boxes kept in a cool room, provision made to store childrens clothes if they have an accident. Staff who stay all day must have a break between sessions.

We open between 9.00 and 2.30. The younger chn go home at 11.30 when the others eat their lunch. New children come in at 12.00 to replace those that have gone home. 2 of the morning staff go home at 11.30. The other 2 have their lunch whilst the afternoon staff supervise them. We change certain activities. It is very interesting to watch the children as the full day ones play with different friends in the afternoon. We have a group of challenging boys in the morning but when they are in the minorityin the afternoon they play properly in the home-corner with the girls. Also they are very caring towards the younger afternoon children. It has made the group even more popular now. I am going to extend daycare to 3 days a week after Easter.

The registration fee and extra insurance cover cost approx £250. Parents pay a top-up fee of £1 per day to cover lunch -time care. This compares very favourably with the cost of a place at a local nursery. So every one is happy, children, parents, staff and myself.

Hi

Ofsted came yesturday to see if we could run as full day care and they have said yes :D:D:D:D, they were pleased with my action plan etc. We have to wait about a month for our new certificate to come through.

It was nice to have an Ofsted inspector in who wasn't actually inspecting.

Carol