Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Present Would You Choose To Have Again?

Gezabel

I have wracked my brain about favourite Xmas pressies but all it brought back to me was the wonder of Xmas. From my childhood I can see our wonderful open fireplace and the parcels around it. Most of those for me were books, and as an avid reader they were a joy. Heidi, the wonderful Little Women, the Famous Five, Pat Smythe's horse books such as Jacqueline Rides for a Fall, were the delights of my child-hood. Most of all though I loved my Xmas stocking, listening for Santa's sleigh and being desperate to be asleep as Santa wouldn't come if I was awake. The feeling of something heavy at the end of the bed when I woke up and feeling all the knobbles and bumps of the stocking and the anticipation is unbeatable. Xmas will never be the same now. Stockings in those days were simple and inexpensive, and presents were a few parcels and nothing like they are now. I do remember visiting Santa in Lewis' in Leeds and getting a sweet shop - I loved it.

Then it was my turn to make the stocking for my children and to delight in their amazement and joy. We never got to bed much before 1 am as we filled the stockings after coming home from the midnight service, and the children would be up and excited soon after 3 o'clock, opening their stockings. We pinned our eyes open and made the moment last. Their childhood is so short. We opened our other presents after the Christmas morning service and when I was sure the dinner was looking after itself. Now it is my grandchildren's turn and I am the onlooker as their parents have this time with the children. I am so lucky that they all (4 generations) come here for Christmas and we can be together. I try to make it really special for us all.

oh JacquieL I have gone all teary eyed! Your message says it all really and I think you raise a really important point. It isn't about the presents we get or don't get it's all about a special family time.

Isn't it 'funny' how we all have different traditions at Christmas, The girfriend of one of my sons had her photograph taken years and years ago - it was taken at the top of the stairs just before she came down to see what was under the tree. The picture was sooo sweet her Dad vowed to take such a photo every Christmas morning and has continued to do so. She was joined by her younger sister and now they are 28 and 26 and this Christmas morning like every other they will sit at the top of the stairs for the traditional photo!

Now it's my turn for a tear! I suppose for each of us Christmas is about individual family 'cultures' which hold us together. Aren't we lucky to have that as so many people don't. Christmas is a very sad time for many people who are alone, or troubled, or have memories of bereavements? On the other hand it is also a time to remember and reminisce about those we have lost and something that focuses our minds for a moment can't be bad can it?

It's a great time of year to reflect and reminisce - lots of memories, both happy and sad, and the chance to re-live those Christmas disasters. (My Mum will never live down her burnt trifle!!!!!!!!!! :o )

Traditions are great, too.

Each year since my daughter was born we have bought her a "special" Christmas decoration to keep.

She has a fabulous collection after 15 Christmasses, including a Nativity set, a 1st Christmas bauble and some more unusual ones. We try to get something that reflects her year, so this year's is a musical (I use the term loosely - it plays the Benny Hill theme!) saxophone playing Santa, as she took up playing the sax in July and is taking her Grade 4 exam at Easter.

I hope she'll look back on them in years to come and smile!

Nona

Hey nona, I do a similar thing, I give each of my boys a decoration to put on the christmas tree, you can imagine the collection now as they are 25,22 and 17 years old, in addition my friend's children also give me a tree decoration - the tree groans under the weight!!

I give each of my boys a decoration to put on the christmas tree, you can imagine the collection now as they are 25,22 and 17 years old,

I also do this and each decoration has memories to points in their childhood When they were very little the fashion was for wooden decorations and I was able to add their name, year and age with a metalic marker pens now they seem to be fabric.When they were tiny I bought them and choose the same in differing colours but eventually it has become a tradition to choose their own on tree decorating day which is TODAY!!! (so excited)

Baubles were old friends in my childhood when the box was unpacked. There was always a sadness when you found a favourite shattered in the bottom of the box. Good job they are not so delicate now!!

Used the idea as a very successful fund raiser one year by dating and naming wooden decorations at the Christmas fair.

Love to read these family traditions you all have

I love the idea of decorations building up over the years :oxD especially with names and dates on.

As someone has already said Christimas is a time for reminiscing and often results in both happy/sad times. We try to remember the sad times with a smile, though we are sad that all four grandparents are no longer with us they have left us with numerous memories that make us smile.

Whatever happens in life I think we deal/cope with it in different ways and in ways that feel right for us. After my two eldest sons I lost a daughter and then went on to have my two younger sons. They have all grown up knowing about the sister they never got to meet. The first Christmas left me for some reason feeling almost scared that I would forget her and I bought a special Christmas bauble and put it on the tree. It was no big deal I just did it for me really. The boys were too young to realise it was any different to the other decorations but over the years other decorations have been replaced but that bauble has remained. Some years ago one of the boys asked why that bauble came out every year so I told them the truth and they thought it was a nice idea. So that's one of our traditions and this year as every other that bauble will hang on the tree not to make us feel sad but just our way of physically remembering a family member who didn't get the chance to spend time with us :(

Edited by Geraldine

Thats lovely! Brings a lump to my throat but nevertheless lovely.

I have large stockings which I fill every year for my boys which I bought for their first Christmas but if I ever have any grandchildren I think the tree decorations will become my gift.

I love the being together at Christmas, but we have always had quite stressful run ups to Christmas and even difficult Christmas days so each year I try not to get too stressed and enjoy the festivities when they arrive.

we too have the decorations/ baubles form each year.. I still have a few which survived my selection as a child.. choosing them was really fun.. and they bring back lots of memories when I open the box...

my parents bought them for my son when he was tiny, until he could manage to choose his own each year... He will get them when eventually settled in one place...

and he still has his stocking from the first Christmas.. always an orange, walnuts and a chocolate Santa sitting in the top, and a couple of small items...

As to the memories.. ours too has been tinged with sadness many a year... so much so that for 4 years we could not celebrate at home.. so hotels became our place for Christmas day... and our son had a ball.. and we have a lot of really good new and different memories to help shield from the sad..

Now.. its just me and Hubby.. son is often working. abroad... ( he thinks Egypt this year!) or his partners family tend to get so upset if they don't go there..

I feel that for us we can have the family time with them at any time of year... think this must come from our movable feasts as my son was small and we would often have Christmas with all the trimmings at odd times.. (Army life!) We once had a fully decorated house, dinner and pressies in May!

Inge

Edited by Inge