Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journals

Can anyone please tell me what they put into their Learning Journals. We did just have examples of work in a scrapbook and then all obs etc were on sticky labels in another folder for the next teacher but not for parents to see. We were going to combine the 2 to make one book for parents and next teacher etc but the Head has decided that general observations (wow moments etc) are too scrappy to put in and we either type them up (!) or keep them in the folder for the next teacher but not for parents to look at. Does this sound right?? :o

There have been LOADS of threads about learning journals and learning stories, if you try a forum search (top right of the screen, click and type in learning journal or learning story) you'll find lots of information. If you can't manage, come back and shout and I'll post a link for you :o

I think the learning journals are very personal to each setting.

My colleague does put her post its in the learning journeys but mine are always such quick untidy scribbles no one would be able to read them so I write them up.

We have lots of pictures in our books and lots of examples of work.

I think they are a lovely idea.

Wish my children had had them when they were at nursery.

Parents should be able to see what you write about their child and so I think the obs in whatever form should be together with their work etc!!!

There have been LOADS of threads about learning journals and learning stories, if you try a forum search (top right of the screen, click and type in learning journal or learning story) you'll find lots of information. If you can't manage, come back and shout and I'll post a link for you :o

thanks have found some useful stuff! But just to ask quickly - should we really be getting our knickers in a twist about how neat the writing of obs are or how good the grammar is? Has anyone had any parent complaints over this?

Edited by Guest

thanks have found some useful stuff! But just to ask quickly - should we really be getting our knickers in a twist about how neat the writing of obs are or how good the grammar is? Has anyone had any parent complaints over this?

all our obs are on post it notes where staff have quickly jotted down info. They are then stuck straight into the learning journeys. They are valuable snippets of info and have just as much value than if they had been re-written neatly! No point in making extra work for yourselves :o

all our obs are on post it notes where staff have quickly jotted down info. They are then stuck straight into the learning journeys. They are valuable snippets of info and have just as much value than if they had been re-written neatly! No point in making extra work for yourselves :o

I absolutely agree, neatness is not important it's what you're observing! We have just spent 2 weeks of inviting the parents/ carers look through their books at the beginning of a session, then asking them to put a comment in of how they felt, what progress they could see etc. They have absolutely loved this and the children have got involved too!! Not one parent mentioned handwriting as a problem and i'm not neat.

Edited by hopscotch

Just a warning parents have the right to see anything that is written about their child (although most dont know this) (part of the data protection)

so still be careful what you write on notes

I think learning journals should be personel accounts of the childs time in the setting

Ours hold long obs, well being and Involvement, incidental obs, next steps, photos

Edited by Suer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)