Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pancakes

JacquieL

Do you make pancakes On Shrove Tuesday? I have always done so but my HT says that we can no longer do this for health and safety reasons. I always cooked them while the children watched from a safe distance. I have been told that I must do a 'Blue Peter' and have some ready cooked. How then do the children see the scientific change?

Guest Sycamore

I always do and will do again this year. Bah humbug to those who say otherwise! This world is going crazy, can we not even cook with the children now! Hope you are able to go ahead!

I'm with you Sycamore. We do a lot of cooking in our school. I thought 'the powers that be' encouraged it especially in the FS - covers so many ELG's in one go!

Mind you I do know of one now ex-teacher who nearly burnt the school when making porridge :o for their 3 Bears and Goldilocks literacy lesson!!

Some time ago we stopped making pancakes because the children did not want to eat them. A parent made some scotch pancakes which went down a treat, we spread them with marg and or jam, marmite, cheese spread, chocolate sauce, honey at least this is hands on for them.

we cook them too... children always surprise parents by actually eating them with us, and last year traditional lemon and sugsr was the firm favourite. (staff all insist I do it each year and I cook theirs for lunch!!!) I always do this one.. so much fun...

Inge

I'm intrigued, what are the health and safety reasons?

If you do an adequate risk assessment, what will you be contravening?

I have also always done this, usually as a large group and with another adult. We have never had any problems and the children have always enjoyed the experience. Obviously you need to be aware of egg allergies, but cooked egg has never been a problem. I also only offer lemon and sugar

I'll be doing it too ... but sh** I don't normally do a risk assessment, but realise that we now have a r.a. for everything, and I've just done a food topic and have had the children chopping vegetables for veg soup and didn't complete one ....!!!

from worried anonymous

(only joking I know my name will appear ... what is happening to the world?)

We will be making pancakes on Shrove Tuesday at my setting, the children make the batter mixture then are able to watch the staff cook them in the kitchen. We always make a few thicker pancakes (either by design or accident) and have pancake races in the garden later in the day.

ooh definately will be making pancakes. we will make masks in the morning, make and eat pancakes and have a mini 'mardi gras' carnival!! lots of music, dance, eating, talking, getting messy and laughter......after all that is what the foundation stage is all about!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)