Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ex Managers

Guest candidoodi

Guest candidoodi

Hi all

I expect you are all getting ready for the festive period but I was hoping for some advice..

How do you cope with an ex manger who is still a member of staff? finding it quite difficult at the moment.

C

In what way are you finding it difficult?

From the ex managers point of view it can be difficult not to say things or make comments. I am the chair now so can have some input but from the start I've been very aware that I am not the manager anymore. Its difficult to let go though, I still see things that I dont agree with but hey its not my job anymore and the day to day running should be what makes the staff happy.

If shes acting like a manager, have you tried bringing it up in conversation that you understand how difficult it must be for her now she doesnt control things? She might appriciate the comment and it might make her think about how shes been acting.

From the other point of view, I've worked alongside someone who used to be my boss, it was ony for a day, but it was really difficult changing things she'd set up. She didnt say anything but it was plain she didnt like my changes. You just have to be positive, explain to everyone why you're doing things that way and hope she settles into it.

I have a member of staff who was joint manager with me, thenbecame deputy and then at my suggestion, became a 'normal' member of staff I regret this quite a lot now and can only say, it doesn't work, I really feel she should have left when she decided she didn't want to be Manager anymore.

Well you might ask shirel for some advice - she has rather been through the mill of late!

I think you need a lot of patience, take small steps if you want to implement change (unless the situation you need to change is dangerous or is breaking the welfare requirements) and be prepared to justify your decisions until you find your feet and people work out that you don't have two heads, and you know what you're talking about!

Mind you, how long that needs to go on for is a debatable thing. I have to say that in my case the problem was only resolved when she left!

But that's not very optimistic, is it?

Maz

Hi all

I expect you are all getting ready for the festive period but I was hoping for some advice..

How do you cope with an ex manger who is still a member of staff? finding it quite difficult at the moment.

C

I am working as a new managing supervisor with the old supervisor still working as a key person, but at her request and with my support, she is currently not in any sessions that I am in, and I have her email, and see her in passing between sessions

(we have two settings to cover at the moment, 'the school room' and the preschool, and I have been mostly in the school room

this term) and we know where each other are if we have anything we need to ask/say to each other, but otherwise she has left me to it, which I know must be hard for her as I have made a few big changes. The only thing I am finding is a few 'long standing' staffing issues I am struggling to deal with at the moment as things happen in the sessions that I am not there, but hopefully this will be resolved when I am back in the preschool in January and the old supervisor retires. Generally though we have made it work and she has really enjoyed being with the children this last term.

Clare x

I am new to the job of Manager, and my deputy was the previous Manager. Probably fair to say we are still finding our feet, some good days some not so good, sometimes things appear OK on the surface but one wonders underneath what the reality is.

PM me if you need a chat!

Give her a responsibility that would be useful for you but would also make her feel that she has value in the setting.

For instance, she could take over planning for the outdoors, or could be responsible for organising displays.

This might help her understand that although she is valued as staff, she doesn't have overall responsibility anymore.

HI candidoodi,

I know how you feel. I am now manager of a day nursery, but originally came in to cover Maternity leave.

4 Weeks into starting, OFSTED turned up and pulled the nursery apart, and were given 6 months to make it good, which forced the Manager to step down and let me take over!!!

Now a year and a half on, OFSTED have been back out, and we have been rated good.

And the manager never returned from mat leave!!!

I would have to agree with SuzieC8, give her jobs to do, or an area of responsibility.

I found it very difficult at first to put my stamp on things, but after Ofsted came in the proprietor had no choice but to let me get on with things!!