Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Play In The C C C C C C Cold!

I have two settings, both Day Nurseries.

We have large deckings and outside areas. Now, Free play has worked well until today - its cold outside, which is fine but the inside is cold too!.

How do you get around this?.

One option is to close the door and operate a bell system for an adult to open, but then this goes against 'free flow'.

Help, I'm confused!.

What do you do?

Hi, this was an issue for us as well but this week we got our 'free flow curtain' fitted and it works great, we can keep the outer door open and this PVC curtain (like in supermarket freezers) retains the heat.

I got ours from www.freeflowcurtains.co.uk

p.s. I still had to have a word this morning with staff though as they hadn't put the barriers out, they have a mental block with the idea that the children love to go outside when it's cold.

I put the barriers out myself (I'm only committee) and when I picked up my daughter she had been out testing the ice on the pond (don't worry it has a safety grid over it!)

We had pvc strip curtains fitted too - they work really well and I have recommended them to lots of people BUT now we have been told to remove them by FIRE SAFETY OFFICERS as they are could hinder us when trying to leave the building. :o

One option is to close the door and operate a bell system for an adult to open, but then this goes against 'free flow'.

My childminded children access the garden through a patio door which is kept closed as I could not afford to keep it open. Not all of them are strong enough to open and close it safely so some do it themselves and I do it for others. They are still choosing when to move to and from the garden so I still consider this freeflow.

For me the important factor is that they are making a free choice about where they play.

We froze too, the children's hands went really red, we free flow with the door open but will consider after today using a bell system so the main play area can be kept warm.

However think children may have FUN with that idea :o

Sue

My childminded children access the garden through a patio door which is kept closed as I could not afford to keep it open. Not all of them are strong enough to open and close it safely so some do it themselves and I do it for others. They are still choosing when to move to and from the garden so I still consider this freeflow.

For me the important factor is that they are making a free choice about where they play.

I agree Upsy Daisy, I can't allow free flow in my home both for safety reasons and keeping the inside temperature "ambient" but I encourage the children to make choices and this is embedded in my practice so that even one year olds will get their shoes to indicate they want to go outside

Edited by Guest

We had pvc strip curtains fitted too - they work really well and I have recommended them to lots of people BUT now we have been told to remove them by FIRE SAFETY OFFICERS as they are could hinder us when trying to leave the building. xD

Hadn't thought of this!!

We tie our PVC curtains back when the door is closed so they are only hanging down when the door is open. I hope this is OK. :o

Hi, this was an issue for us as well but this week we got our 'free flow curtain' fitted and it works great, we can keep the outer door open and this PVC curtain (like in supermarket freezers) retains the heat.

I got ours from www.freeflowcurtains.co.uk

Suzie C8 Have you had any issues with the plastic flapping back into childrens faces and is it weighted at the bottom in any way.

I had a good look this morning and they do hook on and off fairly easy (we're pack away).

Interestingly I had to get the fire safety officer in because we have to pin back a fire door to put up the PVC curtain. He said it was fine for us to pin the door back as the door is there for the upstairs and there is no one up there when we are in session. He didn't mention anything about the PVC curtain being a problem though.

We don't seem to have had problems with the children going through it so far and no it is not weighted down but the plastic is quite heavy.

• 1 month later...

We have discovered some rubber fittings you fit on the side of your door from Mothercare. We put them on our outside door when we first go out and take them off at the end of the session. They allow the door to almost shut but there is enough space for the children to get their fingers round to pull the door open when they want to go in. It has made such a difference as the staff inside dont need to wear coats any more when the children are outside. Our buildings manager was aslo very impressed.

We had pvc strip curtains fitted too - they work really well and I have recommended them to lots of people BUT now we have been told to remove them by FIRE SAFETY OFFICERS as they are could hinder us when trying to leave the building. xD

The only hinderence would be if the curtains were left hanging down when the door is shut. The curtains should be tied back when the door is closed and this may be why the fire officer said this. A member of staff's hubby is one such person and hopefully all fire safety people are in agreement with this.

The PVC curtains work well for us. There aren't any weights at the bottom Vickilucas so they don't flap in the children's faces and yes ours can be taken down which we usually do in the summer.

The rubber fittings from Mothercare sound good for people without the curtain. I'm sure we'd try anything as long as it keep out the cold......brr!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)