Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Big Money Needed

my setting is trying to move from a village hall into a mobile on the school grounds. we have planning permission lease and legal side of it done, but need BIG MONEY to fund the mobil;e building itself.

last year we put in a lottery bid, and good news, it was exepted, but the bad news, we were not classed as "needy enough" as were are not the most deprived area in norfolk. (tell my single, low income parents that!!)

so, no money. we have gone to the press and radio, (i had to do an interview on radio) local businesses, schools ect but still have had no success.

we are trying to raise about £40.000 or a donated building would be great. have raised only £6,000 so far as we have to fund raise to keep afloat now (i have to pay over £100 rent on the village hall a week)

CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY OTHER IDEAS OF WERE TO GO, KNOW ANYONE WHO WANTS TO GET RID OF A MOBILE, OR HELP IN OTHER WAYS

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS THAT WOULD HELP US WITH THIS KIND OF FUND RAISING, PLEASE HELP.

just dont know where else to turn, ive already sold myself to the devil so i cant try that one again. :o

Hi ruthie, have you tried your local council? I'm pretty sure that Birmingham were/are doing something where by if you show your business is needed in the area there is a low cost loan or a grant. Of course all this could be nonesense, I stopped smoking a week ago and I'm not at all well!!! :o

How about local business sponsorship/ Or local buliders donating materials and time. The PLA may have ideas or resources. Our local primary has just got rid of a load of mobiles, where do they go? Can they be recycled? I can ask the head if he knows, but he's not the most helpful chappie. Good luck, I'll keep thinking. :D

thanks rea

im going to write to council and see if they can help, i have already asked what happens to the old buildings used by school, but no one has got back to me yet.

good luck with the giving up smoking, i know how hard it is.

im going to keep trying with the funding, thanks for your advice. :o

Can't think of the correct name for it but isn't there a scheme where if a school can raise money for a big project the council match it.

We have never been successful with our bids for lottery funding either, we applied for money for a new climbing frame and got turned down but a local private day care run as a business for profit got £5000 for play equipment. Keep applying - find someone who has been successful, get some tips from them.

HOw big does the mobile have to be?

Don't get your hopes up but I can put some feelers out and will do my best.

My sons got given two mobile units which they use at the village football pitch for home and away changing rooms.

Each one has three rooms.

Please dont get your hopes up as it may come to nothing but thought it worth a try just a rough idea of size would be good.

Just another thought! In our area the local radio station has an annual christmas auction and the money raised is used to help local children. Anyone who would like financial support just applies and says who they are and why they need the cash.

Don't know if you have anything similar in your area but you would be a great recipient, helping local children not only now but for generations to come.

Will continue to rack my little old brain and hope for some wonderful solution

If I win the lottery - your problems are solved I promise :D

Hi Ruthie

we have tried to do exactly like you and unfortunatly got no where ..we cant even find anywhere to put a mobile on, been to local paper, council everywhere...good luck i wish you all the best, i know the money issue will take time but at least you have found somwhere to put it... :D

thanks for your replies,

steve, we are a playgroup who cuurently hire a village hall, we are a charity and run by parent committee. we still plan to run as a charity/committee if we move. the problems with the village hall include storage etc and other users so we cannot open all day every day and therefore can only offer full day care 3 days per week.

we are looking for 3 mobiles in total which are to be joined together, not really sure of all the details but thats what the plans say

we did have soon good news today, after we appeared on local radio on tuesday we had a call today from someone who will donate one mobile to us, not got anymore details other than that at the moment, but at least we are getting somewhere. the radio staion is going to re-run the interview and try to get us a slot on our local news programme.

weve had a local enginieering firm offer help with building works at cut costs.

been trying to get this up and running for 3 years, and i think this could be are year.

There is a down side you know. Our local cub scouts committee have said in the past that the worst things to own are your own hut and bus. They used to fund raise just to keep the bus on the road and never had spare cash to do things for the lads. I do understand how much you would want your own building but think about building insurance and general upkeep. Just thought I'd add a word of warning, pessamist that I am :D

Guest alisonjayne

Hi Ruthie, where abouts are you in Norfolk?

I know of a group who have ust moved from a village hall into their own building on school grounds and fundraised had grants etc they are in Norfolk too I was wondering if you would like me to put them in touch with you so that you can exchange ideas........

Ali

thank,

alisionjayne, im in a small village called Hingham, between Watton, Wymondham and Attleborough area. i would love to hear from other groups in the area who have managed to get this kind of project up and running. my email is ruth@carter6709.freeserve.co.uk

im going to keep on with this until i get it, will just keep plugging away until we get their, and anyone who knows me, knows i dont give up when i get my teeth into something.

thanks again for all your help

Love to see you succeed in this one. There are second hand portakabins available either for sale, rented or leased - perhaps you could produce a finance plan and approach the bank as you already have some capital and can produce some good justification. I did look at this once although I am unsure of the name - but you can search under google for portakabins - you are already in a strong position if you can site this in school - you are probably half way there - so keep plugging away at it. Good luck. Is there any money from your local council/eycdp for matched funding - in our area they are once again providing capital funding for projects like this but it of course varies from area to area. PSLA also have a list of contacts for funding too - perhaps get in touch with your development worker for a contact list. Otherwise cannot help much. Sorry

Nikki

think we have good news,

someone has offered us enough mobiles to get the project started, for hardly anything, we have to pay only for transportation.

a local firm in the village is also offering to help us a minimum cost, so it looks like we could soon get stated.

im on holiday in the canaries at the moment, so im missing all the details, but will let you all how what happens.

thanks again for your continued advice and support.

• 1 month later...
my setting is trying to move from a village hall into a mobile on the school grounds. we have planning permission lease and legal side of it done, but need BIG MONEY to fund the mobil;e building itself.

last year we put in a lottery bid, and good news, it was exepted, but the bad news, we were not classed as "needy enough" as were are not the most deprived area in norfolk. (tell my single, low income parents that!!)

so, no money. we have gone to the press and radio, (i had to do an interview on radio) local businesses, schools ect but still have had no success.

we are trying to raise about £40.000 or a donated building would be great. have raised only £6,000 so far as we have to fund raise to keep afloat now (i have to pay over £100 rent on the village hall a week)

CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY OTHER IDEAS OF WERE TO GO, KNOW ANYONE WHO WANTS TO GET RID OF A MOBILE, OR HELP IN OTHER WAYS

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS THAT WOULD HELP US WITH THIS KIND OF FUND RAISING, PLEASE HELP.

just dont know where else to turn, ive already sold myself to the devil so i cant try that one again. xD

23722[/snapback]

Hi Ruthie

Carolann here

Ok some fundraising ideas that might help.

I know this may sound like one that you have had before but stick with me. If you can organise a summer fair/fete or fun day you can write to one or I suggest several estate agents in the area and ask one of them to sponser you. It works like this. If you can find one that agrees to sponser you then they will advertise your event on their for sale boards with out the for sale bit. For ever friend, parent, teacher or anyone you can rope in that agrees to have one of those signs in their garden (nearer the event) the estate agent give you £10.00 (that's the average and different areas have different amounts so don't quote me on the £10.00 bit). I have just done this for our local International day at my sons local school and have found 80 names and addressess. That's £800 for our ICT Centre. The hard work of course is firstly getting an agent to agree and secondly getting names for the boards. A bit long winded that one (sorry) but an easy way of making good money.

A QUIZ NIGHT

Each year I hold an annual quiz night around November time. You can hire a quiz master or do it yourself. Each table holds 6 members at £6.00 each and this includes a ploughmans. You do about 10 rounds (having your ploughmans after round five) on average I have up to 13 tables all with their own group names such as ''The nineteenth hole'' The Planks'' etc etc. The winning team gets a clap and their money back (most know its for a good cause and let you keep it) and the losers get a dummy or babies bottle (all taken in good spirits). If you get enough raffle prizes donated by parents beforehand and do the raffle on the night you will be suprised how much that brings in alone.

If you want any more ideas and believe me I have many (I am the fundraising co-ordinator for my sons school as well as my own nursery) just drop me a line at poshprincess@ntlworld.com and I will be able to give you some more tips.

Hope that helps to start with good luck.

P.S (If you need a quiz master let me know I can help you there)

Happy Easter

Carolann :o