Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack Time In The Afternoon

Hi there

I had a parents' appointment this afternoon (they couldn't make the date in October). Anyway I've been aware that the parents have food issues. Mum has asked me to make sure she chooses the animal protein meal (in those words). She has also complained about them being offered a small piece of bread to go with their pizza as that's too much carbohydrate. Anyway the food part of the meeting started when they were asking is the children can choose what they eat. I said that the dinner ladies should monitor what they eat and inform me if anyone is not eating but I hadn't been old anything but I would speak to them about it. The mum then started asking about when she goes full time next week will she be having a snack. Now we have a snack at 10:15, then lunch at 12 then home time is at 3pm. Not a huge amount of time as most parents bring a snack up with them for pick up time. Anyway the mum started to say that she is hungry when she goes home at 1:10pm at the moment (this is probably due to her not eating much lunch!) and doesn't think she'll survive the afternoon. I said that hopefully if I can persuade her to eat more then maybe that would fill her up a bit. She then said that children should eat every 2 hours so that their blood sugar doesn't drop. So two questions. Has anyone heard that children should eat every 2 hours before? Do any schools do afternoon snack time? Thanks.

MMMmmm thats a tricky one. I do afternoon snack aswell with my reception kids, only because theirsd heaps left over from morning nursery , they have taken to a liking of choosing water. I've never heard that chn should be eating every two hrs. I'm sure chn do not all have a standard amount of sugar levels. They asre all different. Some of my kids are fussy and eat next to nothing, ive spoke to my parents about it, andmany reply 'does it look like s/he's wasting away? and dont appear to be bothered. Hopefully someone will come along soon with better advice than me.

ps tanx for your replyearlier

xxxx

we do afternoon and morning snack but then we're a preschool and not all children are there all day and come for either morning or afternoon. Some of those who are with us from 840-310 choose not to have afternoon snack because they've had enough lunch (packed lunch, we don't privide the lunch) but the option's there for them.

Sam

How much and what does this child eat when at home. Do they have regular mealtimes or allowed to graze all day.Maybe the parent can adapt meal times at home to get child used to eating lunch.

I also think that if a childs hungry they will eat and you can only encourage a child to eat.

May be when she goes full time she will eat more anyway because she will realise she won't be able to snack when she gets home at 1.10. One of our nursery children has gone full time this week and his lunchbox has changed from bread and butter and a drink to sandwiches, 'crisps', yoghurt, fruit and a drink. Our morning children who go home at 12 often say 'can I finish this at home?' they know they have the luxury of 'grazing' in the afternoon!

I remember years ago, before Ofsted took over regulating nurseres that the recommendaton was children were offered food every 3 hours, I cant remember where I read it, probably in the Socal Services handbook which would be equvalent to the standards/eyfs we follow now. If it is the case then you fall into that so I wouldn't worry too much..............I'm sure someone on here will know the correct answer!

I'm wondering the same as Sunnyday.

Is this mum feeling that her daughter is not ready for full time school?

I've never heard of children needing food every two hours. In fact I had the opposite problem when my younger daughter started school. she was not used to snacking mid-morning because she loves to eat a really big breakfast. The school insisted that she had a snack mid-morning and then kept telling me that she wouldn't eat her lunch :o .

If this mum is anxious about her little girl being in school all day it would probably help if you can agree to allow her to have a snack mid-afternoon and see if she actually takes you up on it. You only need to let her know that it will be available if she's hungry. If she has eaten lunch and is busy enjoying the classroom activities she'll probably forget to ask. Could that be a way to reassure mum without disrupting the routine?

Maybe she is just one of those mums that needs to have something to worry about which does not help you but it sounds like what your doing is fine and much the same as everyone else x x x

This woman would do my head in (sorry if offended) some parents are never happy and it really gets me when they talk to you like you know nothing, no bread with pizza, its not going to kill her!! I know they know their child best ,but its just being picky and im sure if there was a big problem at lunch the dinner ladies would let you know, you can reasure her as much as you like but i bet its not the last time you will hear from her! Sorry for reply had a bad day

Well we shall see what she is like tomorrow. She certainly doesn't seem desperate for her snack in the morning and considering there have been days mum hasn't managed o get her to eat breakfast, I think it may be more of a home issue. Maybe the daughter knowing how to control her mum?

Well we shall see what she is like tomorrow. She certainly doesn't seem desperate for her snack in the morning and considering there have been days mum hasn't managed o get her to eat breakfast, I think it may be more of a home issue. Maybe the daughter knowing how to control her mum?

Well if mum is having to try to 'get' her to eat breakfast perhaps this is a battle for control over food. If that's the case I would definitely let her know it's there if she wants it and then leave it up to her. There is no battle to win then and she has nothing to control anyone with.

If this is the issue for mum it sounds like child:1 mum:0!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)