Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'the Lack Of Men In The Sector

Guest deborahnixon

Guest deborahnixon

can any one help???????????

I am researching why there are a lack of males in the early years sector. unsure where know where to start .

need to look at the reasons why

is it inculsive.

Hope this makes sense to anyone reading

Hi Deborah -

I've moved your post into the Men in Childcare forum area. Well it seemed appropriate! :o

I'd suggest you have a browse through the earlier topics in this sub-forum as they will certainly be of interest to you!

• 2 months later...

You could try asking men who want to work in Early Years such as myself. I've noticed that no man every raises how they feel working with younger children and it tends to be dominated by:

'How good it is to see a man working with younger children/How unusual it is to see a man working with younger children.'

Worth a try?

:o

thank you for the responses

For your dissertation you could try asking men who want to work in Early Years such as myself. I've noticed that no man every raises how they feel working with younger children and it tends to be dominated by:

'How good it is to see a man working with younger children/How unusual it is to see a man working with younger children.'

Worth a try?

• 4 months later...

Hi we have a male member of staff, and like all my staff give a wonderful dimension to our setting. I think the real reason why there are not many men in childcare and education persay is the lack of wages. Who can support themselves let alone a family if they have one on the minimum wage.

I would love to see the day when all provisions have a male representative in the work force.

Guest jenpercy
Hi we have a male member of staff, and like all my staff give a wonderful dimension to our setting. I think the real reason why there are not many men in childcare and education persay is the lack of wages. Who can support themselves let alone a family if they have one on the minimum wage.

I would love to see the day when all provisions have a male representative in the work force.

The gov response used to be that attracting men into the sector (and then graduates) would drive up wages. I suspect this is doubly the attitude of the Tories. As if I wouldn't pay enough money to attract a wider choice of staa, (OR pay myself a living wage if I could!)

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I'm a male reception teacher. Know quite a few other guys who teach nursery and reception but we are very much in the minority! And, yes, to some extent we probably do get preferential treatment in job applications.

Fluffy Lamb

I covered this topic as part of my ADCE (showing my age now :o ) as a piece of work and what I did was made a questionairre up which I gave to ten guys who worked in other jobs or didn't work to see what thier opinions about men in childcare were and also whether they would consider working with children. Based on thier responses I then devised a different set of questions for the men who did work in childcare to get a comparison - it was an interesting piece of work , the main things that came out of it tended to be more related to the low pay, lack of status of the job, and general ignorance of what the job involved rather than the traditional issues around it being 'womens work' and not a job for a man ! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)