Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help Again, Sorry

Dear all

Have just posted this in the wrong section, I think so am posting again here. :o Hope you can help.

My friend has an interview next week and has "teaching time" for 15 minutes on a topic of her choice with 5 children in YrR or 1. She wants to start with a book and perhaps use the outside area, but for this short time, I am stuck for ideas to give her for something that little bit different that will show the panel "how she interacts with the children". Have looked at interview threads and given her a few ideas from that. Does anyone out there have anything else - the HT did not say what the children had been doing recently, so no starting point really. 15 minutes is such a short time to really make an impact..... Thanks in anticipation -I know people are always asking about interviews, but this is not my strong point!! xD

Sorry, but friend needs to do something that she is comfortable with and not something that anyone else thinks is suitable. I am presuming that she has been asked to show how she interacts with children?

Im not sure how sensible it is to plan to go outside with children she doesnt know even in a small group or that the children and observers will have suitable clothing etc for any weather condition?

I would never 'assume' that children will know a story, as if they dont, it call fall flat on its face.

15 minutes is not very long, and you need to consider the transition between indoor and out (and getting coats if its cold, deciding whether or not to go out if its wet and windy) and therefore I would have a plan B to call upon at the last minute.

I think I would probably go with an unusual object, one that the children are possibly unlikely to have seen before, maybe wrapped up in a box and use that as a stimulus to get them talking

If I was doing the interviewing a candidate who came in with a different story, possibly from another culture, would stand out to me. It is always tempting to go for a tried and tested story, but it can be really good to stand out from the crowd. A while back I was involved in interviewing for a number of staff and more that half the candidates brought the Hungry Caterpillar - how we as interviewers where fed up with that jolly old insect!!

Good luck :o

Going along with Mundia's theme - could your friend tell a story that maybe she has adapted or made up herself, with a few artefacts to unwrap along the way. We used to have an outreach worker from the local museum come in. She would tell a story and weave into it objects she had brought in, these objects were wrapped in tissue paper.

The children sat in an arc shape and in front of them would be the wrapped objects and she would choose a child to unwrap an object the whole group might be asked what the object was - colour, etc. then she would move on to the next object, until they were all unwrapped. Then she would put on her storyteller's hat and tell a short story, getting the children to do little actions, such as say, Mr. Sparkle got up and stretched and yawned, (everybody - stretch and yawn)......... and then as she told the story she would weave into it one of the objects the children had unwrapped.

This would be done with 3 and 4 year olds, the artefacts came from the museum, but most were quite ordinary. The children (not to mention us adults) were absolutely spellbound!

:o Thank you all so much for your ideas - I think you are probably right - not knowing where the lesson would be conducted and weather might be difficult to go outside unless this had been specifically asked for - and the time IS very short - that is the difficulty really, I guess.

Anyway, some great ideas.... will let you know how she gets on. Any more ideas, please do let me know. THANK YOU! xD

Dear all

Have just posted this in the wrong section, I think so am posting again here. :o Hope you can help.

My friend has an interview next week and has "teaching time" for 15 minutes on a topic of her choice with 5 children in YrR or 1. She wants to start with a book and perhaps use the outside area, but for this short time, I am stuck for ideas to give her for something that little bit different that will show the panel "how she interacts with the children". Have looked at interview threads and given her a few ideas from that. Does anyone out there have anything else - the HT did not say what the children had been doing recently, so no starting point really. 15 minutes is such a short time to really make an impact..... Thanks in anticipation -I know people are always asking about interviews, but this is not my strong point!! xD

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who gave suggestions for my friend's interview. She used the idea from Panders and although it took rather too long to open te presents which did not leave much tine fro the story, she got the job. THANK YOU. And I will certainly try the ideas out next time I have an obs.!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)