Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi all

I am in my second year doing my foundation degree. The uni that i am undertaking this has not really stated what i will gain after completing the 2 and a half years.

Also what are my options after completing this, what if i do not wish to go further what qualification will i have gained. Also what if i go on to do my top up year how will this qualification be different.

Nobody within the uni has really focused any time for pointing this out....

Carly

Hi Carly,

My understanding is that your Foundation Degree will take two years, then you can top up to a full degree at that stage if you prefer. You could then go for EYPS if you wanted, whilst raising your degree to an Honours degree (taken together, this would add on the long pathway for EYPS which is 15 months). I think I've got this right, but I'd welcome someone else confirming this, or telling me I don't know what I'm talking about!

My understanding from the University of Worcester staff is that we can go straight on to EYPS at the end of the foundation degree and then we would have half the credits required to top up to a BA Hons. I'll double check this with my tutor on Monday but this was the path they seemed to be recommending to us on a study day there last summer.

My take is this (and apologies if I am wrong!!!)

Once you have done and passed the foundation degree you have a level 5 qualification.

If you want to become an EYP then you have to get 60 more points by doing 2 modules of the full degree.

I believe you can do these 2 modules alongside one of the pathways for EYP status!!!

If you want to!

Alternatively you can top up your degree to a full degree (not sure how long to do this!!) then you will have a level 6 qualification and can do the quick pathway to EYPS if you have lots of childcare experience.

As I say thats my take!!!! :o

Once you have done and passed the foundation degree you have a level 5 qualification.

You'd need to check this out with the qualifications database - unless the uni has gone through all the hoops to get the course 'mapped' then it may not be recognised as a Level 5 (and when I put my Honours degree into the database it told me I'd need to do a Level 3 to be qualified!). However things may well have changed since then. Also, you might try putting the details into the CWDC Workforce Audit Tool to see what that says since some Local Authorities are using this as the method of deciding whether settings qualify for the quality premium under the Single Funding Formula.

If you want to become an EYP then you have to get 60 more points by doing 2 modules of the full degree.

You need the full degree before you can achieve EYPS - but you don't need an Honours degree, so you can do the extra 60 points for an Ordinary degree.

Alternatively you can top up your degree to a full degree (not sure how long to do this!!) then you will have a level 6 qualification and can do the quick pathway to EYPS if you have lots of childcare experience.

It depends on your institution (and will definintely be different if you're doing distance learning) but it would take a year to top up to an Ordinary degree or an Honours degree at our uni. The only difference is the amount of work you'd need to do (fewer points means fewer modules!).

hali and I did the long pathway to EYPS alongside topping up to Honours, which took 15 months in total. Alternatively a friend who decided not to do EYPS alongside her degree completed the short pathway (six months) once the degree was finished.

That's my understanding - would be interested to hear what the database/audit tool says about the Foundation Degree, and whether anyone who has gone through the process later than I did can tell us whether things have changed in the last year or so!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)