Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Definitions

Upsy Daisy

Hmm well I'll have a go.

Epistemology is an ‘ology’ which is the science or study of something, and the ‘epist’ bit basically means knowledge, so epistemology is the study of knowledge and of understanding, and what knowledge and understanding are. Within epistemology there would be philosophical questions such as ‘ What is knowledge?’ Cognition is the process of actually knowing something and understanding it, and going through the mental processes required to gain that understanding.

I think I may be oversimplifying things somewhat but I tried. :o

What an interesting question!

The free online dictionary describes cognition as:-

1. The mental process of knowing, including aspects such as awareness, perception, reasoning, and judgment.

2. That which comes to be known, as through perception, reasoning, or intuition; knowledge.

Whereas it describes epistemology as:-

The branch of philosophy that studies the nature of knowledge, its presuppositions and foundations, and its extent and validity.

So one is the study of knowledge and the other is knowledge itself.

Does that help?

Maz

Thankyou ladies. I knew you'd come through for me.

So epistemology is the theory that I am learning when I'm working out how best to support children's cognition?

Is that right?

Can you bear another question?

Why are Piaget's theories called Genetic Epistemology? Is it because he believed children are genetically predisposed to interact with the environment to develop their own cognition?

I think the mud is getting a bit clearer :o

By Genetic he means that humans have something within them and that causes them to aquire knowledge and learn.

And by extension I guess it is what is behind the theory that babies are capable learners from birth, and Chomsky's Language Acquisition Device. This all sounds very high brow Upsy Daisy - makes me wish I was still studying! I feel it may take me a little while for my brain's capacity to reach Masters level though... :o

Maz

Thank you.

I feel good that I am on the right track.

I'm sure my tutor tried to explain all this to me this time last year but it went right over my head!

It may be good for your brain but it is frying mine! :o

Oh and thanks for the link. It's really good.

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)