Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number Recognition

Wondering if anyone can help and wave a magic wand. I have a yr1 child who only recognises 1, 2 and 5, no matter what we do visual, auditory, knethestic nothing works, I am tearing my hair out. I now have to write up a set of plans for this child as she is not allowed to repeat reception input. Help !!!!!!!!!!

Can I ask what her literacy is like?

What would happen if you felt this child was dyslexic? What kind of help would be available for her - if any? Maybe she is innumerate?

Does she "get" number operations, but just not recognise numbers?

I don't think I have any answers, but I'm curious as to the whole package!

Can I ask what her literacy is like?

What would happen if you felt this child was dyslexic? What kind of help would be available for her - if any? Maybe she is innumerate?

Does she "get" number operations, but just not recognise numbers?

I don't think I have any answers, but I'm curious as to the whole package!

She recognises letters and sounds and is just starting to blend and write cvc's but it has been hard work getting her there.

No she does not do number operations at all everything seems a guess to her with numbers.

I believe children do not get help till later on if they are dyslexic correct me if am wrong.

thanks blackcat. My heart goes out to this little girl, the academic side for her must be a real trial and she has worked hard to achieve what she has already, sounds like it is just going to take a long time to sort out. Can you make plans 'similar' but not the same to YrR or would that not be allowed either. Surely if you are meeting the needs of the child first and foremost, if she needs to repeat the kind of PSRN activities she did in Reception that ought to be allowed. Would you be allowed to offer her parents a workshop on the type of activities that would benefit her, and perhaps they could do it at home as well.

Is she particularly good at anything such as art/craft/singing/dancing/sport, I feel a real need for her to be good at something!!

dyscalculia - that was the word I was looking for Choci - just couldn't bring it to mind

Edited by Panders

Hi blackcat, I am just wondering if your child has difficulties with counting as well as the actual recognition of the number. So would she for example be able to give you 5 objects or tell you there are 3 teddies etc even if she can't find the correct numeral? Can she count 2 sets and know which is more? Can she recognise patterns of numbers (eg those on a die). Does she use any number language in her play? Can she make relevant movement in response to a number eg 3 steps; 5 claps etc. Can she order numerals even if she doesnt know what they say?

I would also wonder if she can follow rules for games, or has any difficulty in sequencing or memory, or changing direction (eg in PE); or has any problems with left and right.

There is a school of thought which suggests that testing for discalculia is not only difficult for younger children but also not that helpful, perhaps chocisgood, you can tell us what strategies you put in place for the child you had assessed that helped?

This may seem daft, but have you tried suggesting to her parents watching Numberjacks on CBeebies? My own children love this and I know several children who have recognised numbers at a v early age from watching this (18 months)! Clearly this little girl has underlying problems, but this may be worth a try!

Thanx for all your replies its great to have support. She cannot count reliably or order sets of numbers. She has good gross and fine motor skills hence she is good at gymnastics and has quite neat handwriting. She has mastered the art of copying so it is difficult to keep tabs on her abilities in respect of sequencing or memory.

I'm concerned about a little boy in our pre-school who is 4 and having difficulties counting orally to 5 still, let alone using 1-1 correspondence..... so I was doing a quick google search and came across this which looks as though it might be useful for those of you in Reception....

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...Dyscalculia.pdf

I was also looking for this excellent article:

http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/articles/m...onal-maths.html

Thanks for the precision training Kittycat, I have just started it with my reception class, and the lower ability year 1s. We have also started it with some special needs children further up the school.

Emily

Have you tried precision teaching? That really boosted our less able children in year R last year so that by the end of the year they recognised most numbers to 10 consistently. I'll attach the document we use.Precision_teaching_grid.doc

Hi Kitty Please could you explain how this works...im new too teaching and having a real fight with LA Reception children recognising numbers to 5!

Thank you

Just to let you know I have been doing this for a week. Numbers 3 and 4 where a big problem but we have gone from 12 out of 20 to 18 out of 20 She loves the challenge and its great to see a smile on her face. I am going to do it for a girl who has trouble recognising a few letters which is hindering her sentence writing. Thanks for all your help and advise, I feel loads better too.

Edited by blackcat

That's great to hear - it's amazing how doing something regularly for only a few minutes can make such a difference!

In answer to how we do it - we go through the sheet and find out how many they know that day, then use number cards to go through those not known - making it fun. This is repeated every day if possible but at least 3 days a week.

Have you tried precision teaching? That really boosted our less able children in year R last year so that by the end of the year they recognised most numbers to 10 consistently. I'll attach the document we use.Precision_teaching_grid.doc

Hi have you got the next shhet, to increase awareness to 10? Would love to have a copy, but if not, will make my own.

I use a precision teaching programme throughout the school called "Minute a Day".

The basic idea behind Precision Teaching is children are set a task to develop a skill or knowledge which they must complete in a set time (our version is a minute) so the children practise every day and how successful they are is recorded - the target being they improve from the previous day - until they complete the task.

We use "A Minute a Day" games - the children seem to like the games and do develop fluency but I know a lot of SeNcos question overall effectiveness...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)