Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

11th November

Hi,

Has anyone got any ideas what activities I can do with Reception children reguarding rememberance day? We do not have any children with father's in the army but I feel that they should know why we wear poppies and feel that a short two min talk to them about them is not enough.

Would it be okay to say the reason why we wear poppies is to remember people who have died in the war? I dont want to scare them or worry them (you can tell this is my first ever class cant you lol) I was thinking about telling them a small statement like that and then getting them to colour in a poppy or something? OR should I just skip over it? It does not feel right doing that though.

Thanks.

we made a poppy wreath with our preschool children one year and actually took it to the remembrance service and laid it on the memorial.The children were not at all frightened to be told we do it to remember those who gave us so much.I think its important to do this with your children.....

Guest MaryEMac

This subject came up in playgroup last week at lunchtime. It was my turn to supervise the lunches and one or two of the children asked why I was wearing a poppy. I just explained about the soldiers a long time ago who were killed and in the fields poppies grew, so we wear poppies to remember the soldiers. We plan to do something on wednesday with them and try for a minutes silence.

A mum came in today and asked if we had been talking about the war because on Saturday her little girl said that she wanted a poppy. When asked why she said that it was so we could remember the soldiers. Mum was flabbergasted but pleased. I was pleased that the little girl had taken in what I had said. This little girl is only just 3 yrs old.

Mary

I'm not direspecting your concerns here but I need to ask.. why would a child be scared or worried by being told about Rememberance day?

My grandad was killed in 1945 and my brother and I were bought up on war stories, films, documentaries, anecdotes. I was always so honoured when dad let us look in the box that held his dads wings, we handled them so carefully. We were never scared or worried about anything. We were told the facts by my dad and left to ask any questions we had over the years.

I think what you want to do is wonderful. Keep it as an open topic you can go over again for any children who suddenly find they have a question.

We do something for Remembrance day every year at Preschool. The helper goes to the corner shop with me and we buy a poppy for every child and then chat in circle time about how it's important to remember all these wonderful people who did (and do) so much to keep our country free. Children then take a poppy if they want one and we stick it to their jumper with a bit of sellotape. The resources on that site are good - and there's something on TES too, for children to make a big poppy, which we did and took them to decorate the church for last Sunday

Just remembered something else.

My other grandad used to take us to watch the parade. He always took his hat off and cried very silently. We always understood Rememberance wasnt about war.

Guest MaryEMac

Today I cried at Playgroup. At 11 o'clock we turned on the TV and the children held the poppies that they had made earlier and sat so quietly for 2 mins. I just looked at their little faces as they tried so hard to keep quiet and I couldn't hold back the tears. I was so proud of them.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)