Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creche Baby Care

I am a teacher in a school based nursery, we have been asked within our nursery to provide additional care for 1-4 children from 0-3 years for 2hrs on a monday. I am unsure from the welfare guidelines if I can do this. I understand that we would need to ensure our ratios, our ratios are correct for our age group but adding younger children into the same room!?! what about the environment we must have to have baby changing facilities etc... I feel we can not provide this service?!?

Many thanks for any comments - i have just started teaching in this nursery and not fully up together with childcare for younger children

Anita

Hi atalman and welcome to the forum.

This is a big thing to ask of you. How much time do you have before this happens? There is a lot to think about before you start to accept very young children and babies into your setting.

You need to think about feeding (where can you sit to feed bottles, do you need highchairs?) sleeping arrangements, maybe sterilising depending on what you will provide, age appropriate toys, how you keep inappropriate resources (like choking hazards) away from babies, whether your routine is adaptable enough to suit small babies. I'm sure there are other things I have not thought of off the top of my head.

I also have to question how you will cope with small children who are only there for two hours a week and would probably therefore find it very hard to settle. Your ratios may need to be very high to enable you to give them the attention they need.

What age-group are you registered for? I'm not sure how this works with group settings being a childminder. Do you need to contact Ofsted?

If you were a private setting only registered for children three and over then you'd need to contact Ofsted with a view to changing your registration which would involve an inspection to ensure that your premises are suitable to care for children under three. Are schools registered/regulated under a similar regime? Presumably if your head teacher has asked you to do this then s/he will have already looked into this and decided that it is legal to do so. Have you looked at the EYFS Statutory Framework to see if it says anything about children under three in school nurseries?

When you say your ratios are correct for the numbers of children you currently care for, do you mean you work to minimum ratios? If so then you will need at least one extra member of staff to care for these children - do you think it will be easy to find staff who are regularly available for two hours on a Monday?

If the children are nearly three then you probably won't face as many challenges - but as Upsy Daisy says if they are young babies then there are so many things to take into account.

Can I ask why you are being asked to provide this service? It does seem to be a lot of effort for something that will only happen for two hours a week!

Maz

a lot to think about,

Isnt there something about caring fro children under 2 hours a day and you don't have to register? been out of the loop for a while but do remember a recent discussion from an unregistered group because of hours they have children.. would this come under it...

you really would need to know the ages of children attending so that you can provide correct facilities and staffing... and as said would you get someone to cover 2 hours a week...

you would need all the facilities for nappy changing, bottle storage, sleeping, and suitable play resources for this age and loads more others will come up with. It is possible but is it practical?

I would think it is for a purpose like a course for parents so children are occupied... I used to run one for a shopping bus when living out in the sticks many moons ago...

Inge

My first thought was the children, particularly their well being as this can be a tricky age to settle. in... is it sufficient time to make strong bonds or will each Monday be 'groundhog day' for them (and your staff)

Don't want to be negative, but as Maz said it could be a lot of effort and stress for such a short time.

Good luck,

Welcome to the forum :o

Thank you so much for all your replies, from my understanding it will be to cover a parents group.

Everything you say about environment, changing and feeding facilities etc.. is why i feel we have to say no to looking after these chidren. I find out tommorow the age and number of children so will check the welfare guidance did have a look yesterday for ratio and environment regulations.

Really appreciated your replies my headteacher is away sick deputy is new, so I will contact our early years advisors for more support if I am pushed to go ahead with it.

Many thanks

Anita

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)