Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sacks

A member of my team wants to implement some story sacks into her room.

She has been on the training but has lost the paper work....grrrrr!!

Can anyone list the main things that need to go in a story sack (other than the book!!)

Examples of sack would be great!!

(i have searched this on here but nothing really stood out)

Thank you in advance!

Fe

If you do a google search for story sacks you should find plenty of ideas. There are always some for sale on Ebay too. Generally there is a story book (and an audio CD if you can get it), a linked factual book, soft toys and/or puppets to match the characters in the story with any relevant props, some sort of game and perhaps you could put in some laminated word/picture cards. :o

Hi,

We've got about 15 story sacks at Pre-school and they have all been put together with donated items, and things from charity shops or that my kids have grown out of (but don't tell them! :o )

I've uploaded a coulple of sample sheets which I laminate and enclose in the sacks. These are the only ones I've still got on PC....

Just to let you know, we've tried lots of different ways to get parents involved with these and have settled on £5 per year fee to 'join the scheme' then the children borrow the sacks for upto a week at a time to use with parents at home.

We've had a really good response - but we also use them with the group during the sessions.

I don't want to bore everyone else but if you want to PM me with your books suggestions I could let you know what we include (if it's one I've got) or use similar to give you suggestions.

Hope that helps!

xD:(

now I've added the attachments!!

Elmer.doc

Don__t_eat_the_teacher.doc

Edited by mps09

Hi,

We've got about 15 story sacks at Pre-school and they have all been put together with donated items, and things from charity shops or that my kids have grown out of (but don't tell them! :o )

I've uploaded a coulple of sample sheets which I laminate and enclose in the sacks. These are the only ones I've still got on PC....

Just to let you know, we've tried lots of different ways to get parents involved with these and have settled on £5 per year fee to 'join the scheme' then the children borrow the sacks for upto a week at a time to use with parents at home.

We've had a really good response - but we also use them with the group during the sessions.

I don't want to bore everyone else but if you want to PM me with your books suggestions I could let you know what we include (if it's one I've got) or use similar to give you suggestions.

Hope that helps!

:(:(

now I've added the attachments!!

Elmer.doc

Don__t_eat_the_teacher.doc

Please bore us! There may be plenty of people who would be interested in this topic who don't necessarily post at all. xD

OK, then, here goes....

These are all the sacks we've got.

1. Gingerbread Man. Includes 2 different versions of the book, a gingerbread man finger puppet (from puppets by post), soft toy animals of all the characters, a recipe for gingerbread biscuits, a biscuit cutter (with instructions for parents to remove it first!).

2. Little Red Riding Hood. Includes a basket with a selection of play food, a little girl doll and an old lady, a wolf toy. Orchard Toys shopping game.

3. Goldilocks & the 3 bears. Soft doll, 3 different sized bears, 3 bowls, 3 chairs, 3 spoons, 3 different sized sleeping bags which I knocked together from some old fleecy fabric, 2 different books and a non-fiction book about grizzly bears!

4. Owl babies, 4 different sized owl toys, the book and CD, a sheet showing how to make an owl from paper plates (from enchanted learning.com)

5. The Gruffalo. Book, toys including an actual Gruffalo bought from a boot sale for 20p!!, monster match game.

6. Bob the Builder. Book, Bob toy, couple of the vehicles, playdo extruder, builder's hat and tools, Builder's tabbard, story tape.

7. Dear Zoo, book, animals, letter and envelope,

8. Old Bear. Book, toy and story tape.

9. Kipper's Monster. Book, toy, torch, sheet with suggestions for making shadow pictures

10. Postman Pat. Book, toy, van, envelopes.

11. Very Hungry Caterpillar. Book, toys, all the pieces of food (or laminated pictures), Days of the Week Game, video.

12. Harry & The Dinosaurs. Book, the actual bucket full of dinosaurs. audio CD and recording of some of the episodes from TV.

13. The train journey. Book, 8 pieces of wooden track, train whistle, plastic animals, tractor, etc. from the story, old train tickets.

14. 3 Billy Goats Gruff. Book, 3 different soft toy goats, a troll toy. story tape

15. 3 Little Pigs. 3 pig hand puppets, 1 wolf toy, laminated pictures of wood, straw and bricks. Idea sheet for making a pin wheel.

In each sack I include:-

A contents list (very important!)

Suggested ideas - such as 12. visit the museum for free and see some real dinosaur bones, 13. take a trip on a real train (costs approximately £4 to go one stop...), 15. build a tower from bricks or wood, which is easier to blow down?, 1. Make some gingerbread men and bring into Pre-school!, 10. write a letter and post it to yourself, talk about what happens between the postbox and delivery, 3. mix up all the things and ask child to match up the right sized items to the right bear. 11. vist and join the library, see if you can find books by the same author. ALL. Talk about the story, see if you child can use pictures to retell the story.

As you can see, some have games, some have audio CD's, DVD's, some have craft activities, some have loads of bits, some not so many.

Because we send ours home, it's lovely to have a real assortment in terms of quantity of contents. We get a really good response and some children do bring in their creations, not always what we've suggested!

I'm always on the look out for new ideas and sacks to produce... and have a great bit bag of bits which I now will come in handy one day.. :o

Hope this is helpful. www.storysacks.com has some parent sheets you can buy and other ideas ..

Have fun!!! :(:(

ps. I've got a great duck-billed platypus toy if anyone knows of a suitable story.. xD:(

What a fantastic list mps09 and thanks for sharing with us..not boring at all.

Just to add that if you join your local library or Bookstart scheme you should be able to borrow story sacks from them to extend your range.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)