Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Witches Broom

Hi can anyone help?

My head gave me a broom stick (like a witch has!). I am trying to think of some exciting ways to use it that could lead into some sort of 'reason to write'. We will be doing light and dark and so far I am struggling with some writing opportunities other than writing spells linked to this theme.

Can anyone come up with any exciting suggestions as to how I could use the broom? I was thinking along the lines of 'discovering' it and then thinking about how it got there etc which I am sure will generate lots of talk and excitement. We have learning obs coming up ( to observe writing) and it would be good to use the broom. Or maybe I should just focus on using it to develop imaginative play linked to witch stories and see what happens? I'm afraid my creative juices are not flowing. I forgot to say I teach Reception

Thanks

Room on a broom is a fantastic story - same author as he Gruffalo etc and in the same rhyming syle. My lot love to do actions, tap the floor with their fingers for the wand, whoosh their arms up and shout out "BUZZ OFF, THAT'S MY WITCH".

There is a great broomstick design at the end of the story with chairs, and a shower etc - could your children design what they'd like on a broomstick?

How about 'discovering' it stuck high up in a tree! Where is the witch now?

Also there are the Winnie the Witch stories and Meg and Mog as well.

How about watching a sequence from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Maybe leave the sound muted and ask the children to write what was happening? You could also get them to use the class instruments to make a magical piece of music to accompany visuals on the screen!

Vicki

Have you seen this

http://www.everybodywrites.org.uk/projects...-alien-landing/ ?

We will be discovering an egg in our classroom (from an ostrich) but it will be from a dragon (our topic is knights and castles). For the first session (Year 1) one of the children will be popping into the castle role play area to take photos of the changes to the castle and discover the egg. The chn will then visit the castle to observe the egg using their senses (except touch) and then in paired discussions formulate questions they would like to have answers to as soon as possible. They will then write down the questions in pairs on a whiteboard and then copy onto speech bubbles for display. On Day 2, they will be writing a recount about how they discovered the egg using language such as first, next, after, finally... After the Literacy session, a letter from the Mummy Dragon asking the children to look after the egg for her will have appeared :o . On Day 3 cracks will have appeared and on day 4 space goo will appear around the egg and tiny footprints will appear at lunch time from the egg to the door and outside...

Haven't quite finalised my planning but know that the school I work at did something similiar the previous year for an alien in Year 4 which worked a treat!

Good luck!

PS I made the mistake of telling my niece that the witches broom I used for poetry day needed special witches petrol from Sandwi(t)ch so it could fly thinking she would forget - she hasn't and has been asking my sister all weekend why it won't fly even though it has witches petrol in - my sis has told her it will only work at midnight...

I am doing a witch theme next week, starting with a letter from meg and mog to state that the council are knocking down the woodland (and their house), can they come and stay for a while?

The chidlren will then design a new home for them and build it. Write a letter to meg and Mog telling them that they can come and stay. We are also writing placards for a protest outside in the playground where we will be shouting things like 'Save Meg's home' etc.

We did this last year and the children loved it. Every 5 minutes they were back onto the writing and creative table to make another placard so that they could go and shout in the playground!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)