Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Godmother

hi all

i was wondering if anyone could help me? On Sunday im Godmother for the very first time and i havent got a clue what to buy my niece who is now one, does anyone have any ideas please????

thanks kate

I've had a think about what my girls were given that they value most.

One had a lovely wooden cradle for her dolls which is a very traditional toy and has given her years of pleasure. She also had an original picture of some bunnies drawn by a local artist which could serve as a nice little investment for the future.

The other one was given a beautiful set of windchimes which are a cut above the average and make a gorgeous sound. She also had a beautiful children's bible which has made the bible stories accessible to her.

I would either go for something which will be a great toy and gives her a lot of pleasure now or something which will increase in value as a small investment.

If you go for books I would try to get a box set rather than a big thick compelation which is too heavy for her to hold as she reads it.

Remember that the best gift you can give to her is your love and support throughout her childhood with the odd special treat or day out thrown in. Perhaps you could find a way to give her that as a promise in the form of a keepsake? Are you any good at calligraphy?

thanks very much for your ideas, no upsy daisy im not that good at calligraphy, love the ideas tho and was thinkin about a toy of some kind but one that she will use and can keep

xx

What lovely ideas..I think it's great for them to have a special gift that they can use/handle - many children these days no longer have a sentimental attachment to their toys, it seems too 'easy come easy go'. Love the cradle idea..timeless

It doesn't solve the problem of a gift for Sunday, but you could start a scrapbook 'Journey' of your time/relationship together...photos of all the trips you'll go on, tickets, those wonderful things she'll say when she's a little older, early marks, lock of hair, milestone photos, a letter from you telling her how you feel about being her godmother, starting school etc

Whatever you do she'll love...it's from you

For my God children I hope to encourage a love of reading and so for their Christening I gave them a set of the books I think every child should have.... Peace at Last, Owl Babies, Blue Balloon etc Then on every birthday and Christmas I add to their collection.

S

P.S. It works they are 7 and 5 and love books!

I bought my god daughters charms and on their 18th birthdays a bracelet to display them all. I haven't added as many charms as I originally thought I would (1 god child would have done better than 3), but have got them charms for significant times - e.g. one has a bible (christening) a shoe (late to walk) lipstick (first date) about 5 in total. Other people have also bought charms so they have a sort of memory bracelet. But, more expensive than I had first realised!

Posy

A friend of mine bought a beautiful wooden Noah's Ark for her godson. It was expensive at the time but she only gave the ark and Mr and Mrs Noah as a Christening present. She kept the animals and gives a pair for each birthday and Christmas (along with a small gift). Her godson is now five and is building a lovely collection for him to play with now and as a keepsake for the future.

Hope you have a great day on Sunday

Beehive

A friend of mine bought a beautiful wooden Noah's Ark for her godson. It was expensive at the time but she only gave the ark and Mr and Mrs Noah as a Christening present. She kept the animals and gives a pair for each birthday and Christmas (along with a small gift). Her godson is now five and is building a lovely collection for him to play with now and as a keepsake for the future.

When I was nanny for a baby in London the parents had previously worked in Vatican city and one of the godparents was an Abbess they had worked for. She bought the baby a wooden nativity set on the same theme. I think it was handmade by nuns/monks etc in Italy.For his Christening he got the wooden stable and his first christmas the baby and manger. She intended adding to it for birthdays and Christmas. She was elderly had it planned to be complete by the time he was 10 and if she lived longer than that she said she could always add another cow,sheep, or shepherd!! xD I thought it was a lovely thing to do and often wondered if it was completed.

My sister bought my daughter The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and added a CS Lewis book each year as it was HER favourite author. Daughter hates them she much prefers Tim Burton :o

Edited by Guest