Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Checklilst!

Hi everyone

I hope you're all having a good half term! I've been thinking about all the things that should be happening in a Reception Class if it is to be a good / outstanding (with Ofsted in mind!! )

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts to share?!! I thought it may be a good point of discussion!

Thank you!

I agree, Susan. I can't believe we haven't been flooded with great ideas :o

All you brilliant reception teachers out there.......just list ONE bit of excellent practice that goes on in your classroom. Even though I'm not a reception teacher, I'm still very interested xD

Not personal experience as its quite a while since I went through an OFSTED inspection, but I have visited 3 schools recently that have all had a recent outstanding inspection. These are some of the things that easy to see, and were also commented on in their reports:

• a definite 'feeling' of warmth, atmosphere, enthusiasm etc
  • a good balance between adult led and child initiated activities
  • a real sense of teamwork and staff partnerships
  • obvious evidence of good partnerships with parents
  • a thorough system of monitoring progress and a real sense that staff 'knew' their children.
  • children supporting each other, being confident, involved, and generally being at ease with themselves

All of the reports also commented on the strength of leadership.

Istickney this might not answer your question but it may encourage others to come along with their suggestions and examples.

Thats very interesting Marion, how do you support parent partnership if they are not allowed in and is this a local view or an LA one?

Just interested because parent partnership has come up in all of our recent inspections.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Thank you for writing these ideas. We're still awaiting our OFSTED call!! So these things are very helfpul indeed. It'd be really helpful to keep this discusion going. What kind of questions were asked about safeguarding etc. Big thank you's to everyone

Hi, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but it does worry me that we all (me included) spend so much time thinking about what Ofsted want to see to give us a good grade.

I know a good report is important to all of us, but what really matters is what we do every single day with the children in our care. That's really where our focus should be.

As a parent (and also on committee of our preschool) what I love is the fact that our children are so happy and our staff are so caring. All the paperwork and 'outstanding' results in the world can't beat that for me.

Hear hear!

I think it is a sad fact of life that we have to think about what Ofsted want to see so much. It would be lovely to think that they could come into a setting, observe the children, speak to the parents and make a judgement based on how engagaed the children are in their learning and how well the parents feel their children's needs are being met. To me those are the two best indicators of a good setting. I sometimes feel like I have two different settings. The one that the children and parents see which is all about happy people and the one which Ofsted sees which is more about efficient form filling.

How many times have we heard practitioners complain that Ofsted inspectors spend more time looking at paperwork than they do watching the staff and children interact?

I feel that we are jumping through more and more hoops to prove how we are fulfilling our role in order that Ofsted have to come and see for themselves less often. If inspectors popped into settings occasionally just for a short time to see what is going on they would probably get a much more accurate picture of the quality of the setting than they get spending a pre-arranged day going through plans and evaluations.

My focus is on making sure the children (childminded and my own) get the best experience which is why I have a good rating rather than an outstanding one. I haven't quite got the art of jumping through enough hoops for Ofsted without missing out on valuable time with the children but I'm working on it.

Sorry, you really set me off there. I just wanted to add that I have expressed this opinion to Ofsted so, although I am having a rant, I have done it properly too.

That it so true Upsy Daisy I have seen some outstanding practice being carried out by practitioners but Ofsted have said "good" due to paperwork not being up to standard due to the staff spending quality time interacting with the children instead of paperwork!!! I agree too regarding the visits its easy to put on a good show for a day!!

Also in the TES Mike coomber has a very good piece on the back page where in a nutshell he is amazed that we let Ofsted walk all over us. We need to stand up for what we believe in and fight our corner.

If I have to do more paperwork just to get outstanding then good will do me fine. It is my children and parents who matter most to me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)