Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Menu Planning

Hello all,

I'd like to plan a few weekly menus for a small nursery caring for 3months to 4 years plus. We are registered for around 30 children in all.

I thought it would be good to have, say, 4 weekly menus and use them in rotation.

If any of you have done this before and have any ideas or tips then I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks!

Hi Duggy, just wanted to say a warm welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post.

I haven't followed a 4 week menu, but I'm sure someone who has will respond soon.

Peggy

Hi Duggy,

I have the role of reviewing our menu, and I have to say it is a difficult job to do, making sure that each day is balanced!!

With my menu I goggled menus for children’s day nurseries to get an idea of what other nurseries are giving, to be honest i was shocked with some nurseries, but lots do give a balanced diet and was a help.

We are currently reviewing ours for the winter, so there are less light snacks on for tea.

I have a 5 week menu. So that all the children get to experience fish; for example on week one its given on a Monday, week 2 Tuesday, and so on!!

We have a selection of pasta’s, vegetarian dishes, fish, and roast dinner each week (pork, chicken, or turkey).

I also have a collection of children’s cook books. (Annabel Karmel)

I hope this has been of some help.

Fe

faellen54, Max,

Thanks for your posts and your advice.

I'll take your help on board an hopefully I'll be up-and-running with the plans soon!

Welcome to you both.

I email parents my weekly menu each week

Favourites of the children I care for are;

Salmon with veg and cous cous, pasta pesto with chicken and green beans, bean soup and wholemeal toast, home made sweet potato chips, tuna dip with veg sticks and cheese on toast, homemade meatballs and spaghetti, asparagus, pea and mint risotto.

It's always a challenge to plan to meet all their likes and dislikes but still make sure it's nutritionally balanced :o

Edited by Guest

Hi Duggy

Can't help with your menu planning I'm afraid........I only have to plan 'snacks'! :o

But just wanted to welcome you to the forum (love your avatar - how clever is that!)

Keep posting!

Sunnyday

Ha ha - glad you like the avatar. I got bored planning the menus!

Let me know if you fancy one and I'll do it for you the next time I get bored!

Welcome to you both.

I email parents my weekly menu each week

Favourites of the children I care for are;

Salmon with veg and cous cous, pasta pesto with chicken and green beans, bean soup and wholemeal toast, home made sweet potato chips, tuna dip with veg sticks and cheese on toast, homemade meatballs and spaghetti, asparagus, pea and mint risotto.

It's always a challenge to plan to meet all their likes and dislikes but still make sure it's nutritionally balanced xD

Thanks, dcn - some good ideas there.

Edited by Guest

im happy to share ours, although our "chef" is on a food course at the moment and changes are planned.. its balanced within reason, we had a difficult time with children and parents, and have had to approach healthy changes very slowly.

I should point out that a selection of cereal is always available for breakfast and fruit is available at all times.

menus.docx

Hi Everyone,

Just to say thank you to Happy Maz, i order both publications, which arrived yesterday, so myself and the cook are going to sit down and evaluate our menu.

Also; we added the question to our SEF questionaire to parents - 1. Are there any healthy meal you would like to see on our Menu?

and Are there any meals you would like to see taken off our menu?

Interesting feedback!!

Also; we added the question to our SEF questionaire to parents - 1. Are there any healthy meal you would like to see on our Menu?

and Are there any meals you would like to see taken off our menu?

Interesting feedback!!

Any that you can share with us? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)