Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre School Ratios

This may sound a really silly question but it's bugging me so hope someone can help me out!

I am aware that the staff:child ratio in pre school settings is 1:4 for under 3's and 1:8 for the older ones. So if you have 16 children of which 4 are under the age of three I presume you need one member of staff for them and two others for the remaining 12 children ?

I have come across another persons interpretation of the figures as being 16 children of which no more than four are under 3yrs only requires 2 members of staff?

The way I understand it Geraldine is that if you have 4 under 3's you need 1 adult, if you have 3 under 3's you can include a 3 or 4 yr old still with 1 adult, but if you have 5 under 3's you can not include the extra under 3 within the 3/4 ratio, you would still need another adult. In other words 3&4's can be inclusded in the U3's ratio but not the other way round. :o Hope thats as clear as mud :D

Sorry could I just put what Rea said round another way so I can see if I understand correctly!!

The 2-3 year old ratio is 4 children to one member of staff. If you have three 3 year olds that means that the member of staff is 1 child 'down' so they could look after a 4 or 5 year old too.

However, it doesn't work the other way - i.e if the member of staff looking after 4 year olds (Ratio 1:8) only had 7 children you can't add in a 3 year old.

Is that what you are saying?

Like Geraldine I find the interpretation of the ratios confusing!!

Our company policy is that you never mix age groups but it seems others do!!

Help!! :o

You've explained that better than I did Orange, but yes thats about it. We have to mix as we're in one room, I personnaly think the children have greater benefits than by not mixing although I know the majority of nursery's dont do it. :D

Thanks for your replies and think I have got it!

So 16 children and 2 under 3yrs would mean

i member of staff for the two tinies plus 2 older ones

that leaves 12 children so we would still need two more staff??

This is the ongoing debate - I am told its only 2 and I think thats wrong as it sounds as though they are mixing 'the wrong way round'?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)