Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Saved Document Disappeared....

sam2368

Have spent the best part of the day writing a rationale and contract for my ILM and when I came to send the document to my tutor I coudn't find it on my memory stick or my pc. any idas out there? I know I saved it, was very pleased with it and am very upset it's gone.

When i looked for and clicked on learning contract, a blank page came up. Does anyone know what I may have done and/or have a magic wand or button?

Please, please help

Sam

Where did you save it to? It rather looks as if it's gone. There are files on the internet you can download to help you recover lost files, but they generally cost and don't always work. Have you got a "recently changed" programme/file on your computer?

Having lost several files over the years I now backup to two different places now - hard drive and portable hard drive, and sometimes email them to myself too as I go along!

I know the sick feeling well that you are probably experiencing and I certainly wish I had a magic wand for you!

Have you tried doing a search when you select 'open' in Word? You can type in a key word and it will search a whole directory just in case you've saved it away somewhere unexpected.

Maz

Thanks everyone - tried all of the above. I can't believe how many times this has happened. I saved it to memory stick and to my docs but nothing. It's the original which is now a blank page which has really got me. I wasn't in a rush when i saved ; had no distractions; I just don't get it.

I had emailed a friend the original and have her tweaked version but the hours spent yesterday afternoon are lost. what a bummer! Still, it could've been my dissertation!!!

Thanks for your support everyone.

Onwards and upwards...

Sam

I too know that awful sick feeling! I once spent the whole day working on a project, writing up my findings and doing all the referencing etc. I religiously saved it on my memory stick as I went along. Towards the end I had a phone call and my husband went on the computer to do something and just pulled my memory stick out without clicking on the 'Remove safely' bit. When I came back and tried to open it up again it came up half as my saved work and half as complete gobbledy gook. :o I had to rewrite it again, as it was something I had a deadline on and needed to print it off and send it the next day. Now I will make sure I also save it on the hard drive, as well as the memory stick just to make sure it doesn't happen again!