Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed

Hello,

This is the first time I have posted on the forum.

I have been sent on an improving teaching course and for next week I have to prepare and carry out a 15mins carpet session using a picture for a Reception/Year one class.

I teach Nursery so feel a bit ouot of my depth - any ideas or suggestion would be great.

Thank you

Hello,

This is the first time I have posted on the forum.

I have been sent on an improving teaching course and for next week I have to prepare and carry out a 15mins carpet session using a picture for a Reception/Year one class.

I teach Nursery so feel a bit ouot of my depth - any ideas or suggestion would be great.

Thank you

Sorry can i ask...do you mean a picture to show to the children that it is carpet time or a picture to base the group time on as an activity??

Welcome to the Forum Fiona, don't forget to go to the Introduction section some time and let us know a little info about you.

A photo to stimulate discussion - you could choose a seasonal one perhaps and after a period of discussion it could lead on to singing some songs or action songs to go with the photo.

You could photograph a resource or an area in the classroom and ask for suggestions from the children as to how to use it/improve it etc. and then if appropriate do it!!

Will go off and have a little think and when I have thunked some more will come back!!!

We have 'Talk for thought' cards at our setting designed for nurserty and reception. On the back they have questions that you can ask the children to encourage discussion, It also has follow up ideas for example read book ......... to foolow up the activity. Really good.

Hi,

Thanks for your help - sorry I didn't get back sooner - putting my daughter to bed.

Bubbles - it's a picture to base group activity on.

Panders - though sound good ideas - thanks.

Sunnyday - the talk for thought cards sound good - can you tell me more about them?

Fionamc :o

I love to use paintings for starting points-Lowry, Hockney, Kandinsky,Matisse, Picaso, Monet and especially Van Gogh as the children can 'see' the paint strokes

We have just used Van Gogh-Starry Night in Nursery as part of our nursery rhyme theme. We did 2 carpet sessions. We looked at the picture and discussed it then sang Twinkle Twinkle including the 2nd verse as a KUW extention. The next day we listened to some twinkly music then danced with chiffon scarves and bells.

This some work simulated by Irises by Van Gogh. When we looked at Hockney we created a montage of our playground with photos the children took with the vtech camera. Kandinsky with 2D shapes and colour. Matisse 'the Snail' is good for mini-beasts. Picasso for faces. Lowry for figures and good for telling story of whats happening.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

First - joannawillis - it's you who talked about the Talk for thought cards - can you tell me about them?

Emmajess and biccy - those sound like great ideas.

Thanks everyone - I've got lota to think about - I'm starting to feel more positive about next week.

Any more thought and ideas welcome.

Fionamc :o

I love to use paintings for starting points-Lowry, Hockney, Kandinsky,Matisse, Picaso, Monet and especially Van Gogh as the children can 'see' the paint strokes

We have just used Van Gogh-Starry Night in Nursery as part of our nursery rhyme theme. We did 2 carpet sessions. We looked at the picture and discussed it then sang Twinkle Twinkle including the 2nd verse as a KUW extention. The next day we listened to some twinkly music then danced with chiffon scarves and bells.

This some work simulated by Irises by Van Gogh. When we looked at Hockney we created a montage of our playground with photos the children took with the vtech camera. Kandinsky with 2D shapes and colour. Matisse 'the Snail' is good for mini-beasts. Picasso for faces. Lowry for figures and good for telling story of whats happening.

Hi

What the 2nd verse to twinkle twinkle??

We have had the most fabulous time after showing children some of the works of Kandinsky. They all loved the squares with concentric circles and we now have a huge display made up of 65 individual squares with 'concentric cirles' painted by the children. We mounted all the squares onto a huge backing sheet and the children then painted over the top with pva glue :o it has dried with a lovely sheen and looks stunning!

post-1999-1255637753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geraldine

In My Little Puffin the verse says

When the blazing sun is gone,

When he nothing shines upon;

Then you show your little light

Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, etc.

As part of a little topic on stars nearer Christmas, we did this last year, the children made a star from lolly sticks stuck together, then sprinkled them with glitter. To each star we hung this poem, and we scribed each child's wish after the poem, and hung them from the ceiling in the hallway.

Star light, star bright,

First star I see tonight,

I wish I may, I wish I might,

Have the wish I wish tonight.

We have had the most fabulous time after showing children some of the works of Kandinsky. They all loved the squares with concentric circles and we now have a huge display made up of 65 individual squares with 'concentric cirles' painted by the children. We mounted all the squares onto a huge backing sheet and the children then painted over the top with pva glue :o it has dried with a lovely sheen and looks stunning!

Geraldine this sounds fab - no chance of some photos I suppose?

Geraldine this sounds fab - no chance of some photos I suppose?

I have just edited my original post to include a picture of the picture we initially showed the children.

They all then had a square of paper and were asked to paint some circles of different colours and the result is stunning but alas I don't have any photos at home :( but hopefully the original will give you the idea. The children were so keen and wanted to keep on and on so the vast majority of children did at least two so we have decided to keep our masterpiece forever and the 'extras' will go in the children's learning journeys :o

We have just been making clay diva pots and a three year old was heard to say I am going to put concentric rings on mine xD:(

A follow on from the Kandinsky for which I cannot find photo for either xD We did it with fruit. Slices of kiwi, oranges. limes etc cut with the children into circles prompting great mathematical discussion.The children created a 'picture' using the circles of fruit on a chopping board then it was photographed for evidence/display. At the end of the session we created a class 'Picture' on the table top for which I had to climb a ladder to get an overview photoshot :o

• 3 weeks later...

What fantastic ideas! Wanted a starting point for our new topic 'raindrops keep falling on my head' am hoping it will rain so we can go out and enjoy the rain altogether and investigate, if not I will use a picture! So simple, but not something I had thought of! :o

Thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)