Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can You Help?

Hi there. I've just had a call from two parents who are both starting teacher training and want to put their two children in our pre-school. They asked if there were any grants available to help them cover the costs, and I said I would need to do some research.

Do any of you lovely people know the answer? Is it a Working Families Tax Credit scenario? This kind of thing is very unusual for us as you can tell!

Any advice gratefully received!

The childcare element of working tax credit is available to either single parents or co-habiting parents who work 16 hours a week or more (if a couple both must be working 16 hours a week or more). The amount available can be up to 70% of the fees the parents pay (even after EEF). The tax credit money is paid direct to the parents so they are responsible for maintaining any pre-school/nursery payments. (It is not unheard of for children to suddenly disappear from a setting once tax credits are being paid and the tax office sometimes check). Parents can check eligibility and potential amounts via tax credit calculator - not sure but look either at hmrc website or direct gov.

There are parent in training grants which are course dependent and your parents would have to check with their training provider about these. These are usually in voucher form.

When I worked in a college nursery students applied for childcare funding through 'student support'.

This had nothing to do with us as the college nursery- as students chould chose where they sent their child/ren. So it covered anything from childminders to afterschool clubs. It ranged for part to full payment of fees.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)