Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps

Buttercup

I am currently doing foundation degree in early years with open university. have done 123 and 124 although no idea if i have passed. just starting e115. not sure what is best to do next. any advice please. my aim is to continue to EYPS can anyone help.

many thanks

You need a full degree and, I believe, GCSE Maths and English (or O Level equivalent).

I'm hoping to start it in January, I have O Level English but not Maths, so I'll need to do that, though might have to do English too if I can't find my certificate for it!!!

The open university in conjuction with the NDNA offer EYPS. Once you have completed your Foundation degree you need to top up to a full degree and the OU compulsory course is KE312 -

If you have a hunt around the OU website you should find the details - they introduced an offer whereby KE312 was funded ( I paid over £600 for this course alone!) if you are doing EYP with them - all sort of part and parcel, building up to full degree and gaining EYP

Sorry I don't know more details I had an email about it but deleted it as I wasn't interested in EYP

You need a full degree and, I believe, GCSE Maths and English (or O Level equivalent).

I'm hoping to start it in January, I have O Level English but not Maths, so I'll need to do that, though might have to do English too if I can't find my certificate for it!!!

Dont panic you can get copies - there are two agencies that keep these and depending on the board you sat for English is dependent on the agency you apply to - cannot remember the names of them but ifyou type in lost GCSE certificates or something similar it gives you all the details. Certainly I would not want to take this again and the cost of getting a replacement was well worth it. All you need is to fill in the school where you took it and the year and other bits of info

I have had several panics over my qualifications, which are VERY old. I still have certs, but they are pre-GCSE; if anyone out there has the old GCE O-level - I have been assured they are acceptable.

Sue

What about the old CSE1/ GCE equivalence? Does that still apply? I could never have passed GCE Maths but by some miracle I got the CSE1 and my BEd (Hons) but does anyone know whether I would need to get the modern GCSE if I wanted to apply for a teaching post now? (would have no chance looking at what my eldest is doing for homework...:o

O levels are fine. That's what I've got.

CSE1 was equivalent to O level so it should be ok but I don't know that for sure.

Al

cse 1 are ok... i was told i would have to do a GCSE because i got a 2 if i got a 1 i wouldnt have to do it... i'm gutted iknew i should have tried harder at school all those years ago!!!!

oh no i got cse 1 english but only 2 in maths. tried to do gcse maths a few years ago but got well confused with algebra. looks like will have to try again. our job is not getting easier. own a playgroup children 2-5 when will i need algebra never alone gcse maths. i agree with a good level of english for all those obs etc.

Phew! Thank goodness, the gods must have been smiling on me that day back in 1981.......( just sounds like SO long ago - aaargh!)LOL

• 5 months later...

hi everyone,

i was looking at doing eyps as a childminder but with the economy and being uncertain of having children in my care on a fairly long term basis didnt apply. i was also told i had to lead something(???). any way to cut a long story short i have since applied to a nursery for a job as a nursery officer (thanks to you on here who gave me info on that :)) and hope to find out if i have the job tomorrow (fingers crossed). was wondering what my chances would be with doing the eyps within a private nursery setting. would it still be funded as it would if i were a childminder? also i asked at interview about progressing my career and interviewer said about doing nvq level 4. i hold btec childhood studies which equates to a level 3 i also have a hons degree. what would be the reason for me doing a level 4? all these question eh....sorry hope it all makes sense xx

EYPS is fully funded at the moment for anyone working in a PVI setting, so if you get the job you should be able to enrol on a suitable pathway - just talk to your local uni/training provider.

As I understand it, the Level 4 is much more management based than the Level 3, although I'm not sure what is happening to the Level 4 with the restructuring of the Level 2 and 3 qualification. It all really depends on what you want to do, and how you see your career progressing. I personally would rather do EYPS than a Level 4, and for the setting there are benefits in terms of receipt of Graduate Leadership Fund etc.

Good luck with the job - hope its good news tomorrow.

Maz

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)