Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Male Volunteers.

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Just wanted to run this by you all. I have been approached by a couple who are going through the adoption process and it was suggested to them that as they have had no regular contact with young children, they should ask about volunteering with us.

I thought that it was a brilliant idea as did all the staff. They both paid a visit today to have a chat and to spend some time to see if they would like to do this and also to pick up the CRB forms. The response by the children was very encouraging and they all asked when the man was coming again. I will be informing our chairman obviously but what do you all think about how to inform the parents? Do I send a note home in everyone's comment book or write it on the noticeboard or not say anything at all?

All comments gratefully received.

Mary

I think that the parents should know just out of courtesy. Wouldnt you want to know who was looking after your child? We always intoduce new staff/students etc to the parents via newsletters. There's no need to tell them why they are volunteering just that they are!

If it were me, I would include a note in general newsletter or a seperate note saying something like:-

John and John have kindly offered to be regular volunteers at the setting and hope you will make them feel welcome....... All our volunteers are provided with information regarding confidentiality and child protection and are not permitted access to the toilet/nappy changing area and will not be left unsupervised with any of the children. If YOU would like to help either regularly or just for an hour, please let us know. We welcome all mums, dads, grandparents, etc. to get involved.....

I don't think you need to go into details about why they are helping or make too much of an issue about a man helping, I would have thought parents would approach you if they were concerned.

HOpe this helps.

I'd say it depends on whether you usually inform parents of volunteers. It sounds from your title 'male volunteers' that its because its a man that you're asking the question.

I agree with Rea, what methods do you already use to inform parents about new staff, committee, students and/or volunteers?

Once thoroughly checked including CRB plus maybe a reference from the adoption agency, I do not see any reason why these volunteers shouldn't be involved with all aspects of childcare practice, including nappy changing when necessary.

I would suggest a chat with the adoption agency, these people will have, or will be going through a thorough assessment process, if there are gaps in their experience/knowledge, as indicated by the suggestion that they approach you, I think it would be useful for them and yourselves if you could find out more specifically what the gaps are, then their time with you can be tailored to their specific learning needs.

I would also want to know from the start for how long this couple are planning to voluteer for, this needs to be explained to the parents and children, giving the children especially a clear 'timeline' of introduction, getting to know you, then goodbyes. The children need to know that these are transient visitors who will be staying for a specific period of time.

Peggy

So this is under the heading "Male volunteers" for what reason exactly? Does this item belong in the Men in Childcare section at all?

Sorry but would you be asking the same question if it were simply female volunteers involved?

That is a question to which I am genuinely interested in the answer as I think it may well speak volumes about the state of play here.

Cheers,

DDC.

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks for the comments everyone. We usually put volunteers/students names up on the whiteboard.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by asking this question or putting it where I did. I just wanted to ask about the best way to address it, as it not something that happens very often unfortunately.

Mary

So this is under the heading "Male volunteers" for what reason exactly? Does this item belong in the Men in Childcare section at all?

Sorry but would you be asking the same question if it were simply female volunteers involved?

That is a question to which I am genuinely interested in the answer as I think it may well speak volumes about the state of play here.

Cheers,

DDC.

I understand you piont of view DaddyDayCare and I agree that it shouldn't make any difference if the volunteers are male or female but I do think there are still people out in our society that are not as enlightened as we forum members who don't understand men in early years education.

Also as we don't know the parents that Mary deals with the fact that the volunteer is male may be an issue to Mary for an assortment of reasons. As she says usually the volunteers are female sadly.

I personally think that the role of men in early years is to be encouraged, children in settings need more and more good male role models.

It is quite interesting that as men you may be experiencing the same barriers that we women have suffered from for years when we try and compete in a male dominated environment.

Sue

• 3 months later...

Or they could be men who want experience working with young children? It does seem to raise a lot of questions which aren't 100% relevant in my view.

Or they could be men who want experience working with young children? It does seem to raise a lot of questions which aren't 100% relevant in my view.

I agree with you however some elements of society still don't understand. We the enlighten have to just continue to encourage men to work in this field to raise awareness of the skills and benefits they can bring to the role and children they are working with.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)