Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does This Mean To You?

thanks... so the same as "distinguish between the different marks they make" and "sometimes giv meaning to marks as they draw and paint" (22-36 months and 30 - 50 months) in writing under CLL!!!

Original phrase was in CD exploring media and materials (30 - 50 months)

I feel like I am repeating myself here dont you?

Hi Marley

I think it's quite a subtle difference, but it is there.

Distinguish between marks - 'this is a picture of my mummy' - literal representation

Sometimes give meaning to marks - 'this is my name', 'this is a number 2' - starting to understand symbolic representation (i.e. that letters have a meaning beyond the literal)

So, could this be down to interpretation then? I was wondering about all the different marks my children are making as part of the Penpals materials. We are using lots of different media to make wavy lines, straight lines, vertical lines, circles, spirals etc. These are all very valuable parts of early markmaking aren't they and a step on from random scribbling...........

I've been using "differentiate marks and movements on paper" for recording this!

It's all great but the idea of marks as a symbolic representation is a specific stage in a child's brain development.

I wouldn't worry too much though it sounds like they are doing great stuff anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)