Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Analysing Children's Paintings

Hi all foundation degree ladies,

for our first second year assignment we have to gather 6 paintings by children and analyse them in line with piaget, vygotsky and bruner.

Any ideas where to start?!

Is it just the painting you have to analyse or does it include the process of the child producing it?

Also Is it six paintings form six children or can you use six paintings from the same child showing progression?

Edited by Upsy Daisy

Piaget - the painting itself shows symbolic play. The child is thinking about their experiences of the world and representing them in their play. It could be a good window on the child's egocentric view of the world. Can you see any evidence of a child's cognitive conflict which they are exploring through the painting in to support their assimilation or accomodation of new information?

Vygotsky - Is the child placing himof herself in a higher state in the painting? Perhaps performing an adult role? Did the child work in his/her ZPD to produce the painting with support from an adult or more capable child? If you observed the child producing the painting did he/she use egocentric speech to support actions and thought processes? Is the child showing a cultural context for their learning in the picture - perhaps a picture of a group activity?

Bruner - can you show the child returning to the same process to learn at new levels? Was the child scaffolded in producing the painting? Is there a recurrent theme within the painting that you can show the child returning to and exploring?

That's just what I can get off the top of my head. I hope a bit of it might be useful!

Gosh, an interesting topic which got me thinking! I recently rediscovered this site and an article about Art Design and Psychology in particular..... it may be relevant or a mere distraction but it's worth a look nevertheless!

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~kbroom/lecturelist.htm

then click on 'Children's Art' on the left hand side and it should take you to this fascinating article.

Enjoy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)